BT 0.82

Started by Pepo, October 20, 2010, 12:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

I've started BT after a FreeHAL@home (1.82) task was already finished (with computation error - appeared later as a missing one result file upon reporting). Although the task is still sitting in the Tasks view (the server did not yet accept the result upon an attempt to download a new task), BT is not willing to display it in the History, although all necessary parameters (possibly except the "Completed" time?) are available.

Is it because of the FreeHAL@home being "unwanted" in the History because of its previous strange progress%/timeleft behavior (up to 1.78), or simply because "the task was already finished" and BT did not observe it as started? I'm asking because I believe I've already seen something like this in the past with some other project/task, just that the task eventually appeared later...

(IIRC I've already asked something like this in the past, but can not find it.)
Peter

Corsair

Quote from: Pepo on October 21, 2010, 08:08:43 PM
While starting old computer and logging in, it was very sluggish. I've clicked BT icon in the Win Start menu, but thought I did not and then clicked it once more. I've got a warning:
---------------------------
BoincTasks
Fatal error, missing file: BoincTasks_ENU.btlang
Try installing BoincTasks again.
OK   

Probably the file was somehow exclusively locked by the first instance... but it scared me for a second ;D then the first instance appeared.

Maybe the second instance should better have checked some early-initialized semaphore/mutex/handle belonging just to BoincTasks, like the BOINC client is using a \BaseNamedObjects\BoincSingleInstance mutex?

If I remember that was a start up error in a old version on BT because of a missing line in the lang file.
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 21, 2010, 08:08:43 PM
While starting old computer and logging in, it was very sluggish. I've clicked BT icon in the Win Start menu, but thought I did not and then clicked it once more. I've got a warning:
BoincTasks
Fatal error, missing file: BoincTasks_ENU.btlang
Try installing BoincTasks again.
OK   

Probably the file was somehow exclusively locked by the first instance... but it scared me for a second ;D then the first instance appeared.

Maybe the second instance should better have checked some early-initialized semaphore/mutex/handle belonging just to BoincTasks, like the BOINC client is using a \BaseNamedObjects\BoincSingleInstance mutex?
There is a mutex check in the the installer, so the program shouldn't be running.
But a locked file...

fred

Quote from: Corsair on October 21, 2010, 11:26:24 AM
At last I made work two ATI in same computer, one in MOBO and the other in PCI, I've to have both of them connected to the screen, otherwise only recognised the connected one ??

the one in MOBO is a tiny one:
QuoteU-3030
16         20-10-2010 12:55   ATI GPU 0: ATI Radeon HD 3800 (RV670) (CAL version 1.4.815, 512MB, 464 GFLOPS peak)   
17         20-10-2010 12:55   ATI GPU 1: ATI Radeon HD 2300/2400/3200 (RV610) (CAL version 1.4.815, 512MB, 45 GFLOPS peak)   

now something rare, the 3200 is nor DB (Double precision) so Milkyway and another projects could not be run, no problem, enough with Collatz and Seti AP ND opt.

the fact is that when crunching both Collatz, the estimated time is bases looks like that in the average of both graphic cards, when the HD3850 is crunching in about 48 min/wu the HD3250 is 7,5 hr/wu as result of this BOINC Manager or BT is showing about 1,5 hr/wu, this sometimes makes the computer works in high priority the project because looks like that there won't be enough time to finish the work.

is this normal??
Quite normal. BOINC only works like it should when you have cards installed with the same flops.
One card is quite a bit quicker, so every time a tasks from another GPU completes, the est times of all tasks will be way off.
This will also make it impossible to determine the GPU runtime on the server side.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 21, 2010, 08:13:37 PM
I've started BT after a FreeHAL@home (1.82) task was already finished (with computation error - appeared later as a missing one result file upon reporting). Although the task is still sitting in the Tasks view (the server did not yet accept the result upon an attempt to download a new task), BT is not willing to display it in the History, although all necessary parameters (possibly except the "Completed" time?) are available.

Is it because of the FreeHAL@home being "unwanted" in the History because of its previous strange progress%/timeleft behavior (up to 1.78), or simply because "the task was already finished" and BT did not observe it as started? I'm asking because I believe I've already seen something like this in the past with some other project/task, just that the task eventually appeared later...

(IIRC I've already asked something like this in the past, but can not find it.)
In smart mode a task must be seen running in the history refresh window.
When the task is no longer running the history will do a complete history fetch, of all tasks.
Otherwise a complete fetch is only done every 2 minutes or so.