Snooze function revisited--dumb question or bug?

Started by jjwhalen, June 20, 2010, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile.  On my primary test platform (BT 0.61, WinVista_x64 SP 2, core duo NB), the Snooze & Snooze Gpu items of the systray icon's context menu are permanently unavailable (grayed out), have been so for several version updates back.  Annoying, but not critical.  On my backup test platform (BT 0.61, also WinVista_x64 SP 2, core quad/GPU tower), the Snooze & Snooze Gpu items are active and work correctly.  What am I missing  ??? :-[

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 20, 2010, 05:43:02 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for awhile.  On my primary test platform (BT 0.61, WinVista_x64 SP 2, core duo NB), the Snooze & Snooze Gpu items of the systray icon's context menu are permanently unavailable (grayed out), have been so for several version updates back.  Annoying, but not critical.  On my backup test platform (BT 0.61, also WinVista_x64 SP 2, core quad/GPU tower), the Snooze & Snooze Gpu items are active and work correctly.  What am I missing  ??? :-[
Interesting. What is the BOINC version of that computer.
The snooze (Everything that is) should never be grayed out.
The snooze GPU is grayed out, when snooze is activated, or when the function is unavailable.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on June 20, 2010, 07:04:50 PM
The snooze GPU is grayed out, when snooze is activated, or when the function is unavailable.

1) All hosts including the control console (& the quad/GPU where this works OK) are currently BOINC 6.10.56.  But this problem goes back several BOINC revs also, even as far back as 6.10.43.  I just never got around to reporting it 'til now, since it's really just an annoyance ::)
2) That's what I figured.  I should add that on the same host, the Snooze/Snooze GPU work fine on BOINCMgr.  Since I frequently want to snooze >1 host, it's easier just to bring up BOINCMgr for this anyway ;)
3) This is the behavior I see on the other host where I have BT installed for backup testing 8)

I looked through the BT section in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but nothing jumped off the page at me.  On my own, my next step would be a full uninstall followed by a clean install.  But I thought I'd give you a chance to mull it over first.  I'm willing to tinker to help isolate this, up to a point ;D

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 20, 2010, 08:42:05 PM

1) All hosts including the control console (& the quad/GPU where this works OK) are currently BOINC 6.10.56.  But this problem goes back several BOINC revs also, even as far back as 6.10.43.  I just never got around to reporting it 'til now, since it's really just an annoyance ::)
2) That's what I figured.  I should add that on the same host, the Snooze/Snooze GPU work fine on BOINCMgr.  Since I frequently want to snooze >1 host, it's easier just to bring up BOINCMgr for this anyway ;)
3) This is the behavior I see on the other host where I have BT installed for backup testing 8)

I looked through the BT section in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but nothing jumped off the page at me.  On my own, my next step would be a full uninstall followed by a clean install.  But I thought I'd give you a chance to mull it over first.  I'm willing to tinker to help isolate this, up to a point ;D
Ok try the following: On BOINC manager select "snooze GPU" and wait if BT sees this happening, by setting a v.
Again try this with the snooze function an tell me what's happening.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on June 21, 2010, 07:12:49 AM
Quote from: jjwhalen on June 20, 2010, 08:42:05 PM

1) All hosts including the control console (& the quad/GPU where this works OK) are currently BOINC 6.10.56.  But this problem goes back several BOINC revs also, even as far back as 6.10.43.  I just never got around to reporting it 'til now, since it's really just an annoyance ::)
2) That's what I figured.  I should add that on the same host, the Snooze/Snooze GPU work fine on BOINCMgr.  Since I frequently want to snooze >1 host, it's easier just to bring up BOINCMgr for this anyway ;)

I looked through the BT section in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but nothing jumped off the page at me.  On my own, my next step would be a full uninstall followed by a clean install.  But I thought I'd give you a chance to mull it over first.  I'm willing to tinker to help isolate this, up to a point ;D
Ok try the following: On BOINC manager select "snooze GPU" and wait if BT sees this happening, by setting a v.
Again try this with the snooze function an tell me what's happening.

If I get what you're asking for, no can do.  The host with the grayed-out snoozers has no GPU to snooze :(  

Edit:
Which reminds me: on BOINCMgr if the connected host has no GPU, the Snooze GPU is absent from the systray context menu.  Then when you "Select Computer" to a host with GPU, the menu item appears.  Is BT supposed to list only Snooze if the localhost has no GPU?  Because to clarify, the localhost with the problem is a core duo NB with no GPU, but BT's systray context menu has both Snooze & Snooze Gpu, both grayed-out ;)

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 21, 2010, 01:46:15 PM
If I get what you're asking for, no can do.  The host with the grayed-out snoozers has no GPU to snooze :(  

Edit:
Which reminds me: on BOINCMgr if the connected host has no GPU, the Snooze GPU is absent from the systray context menu.  Then when you "Select Computer" to a host with GPU, the menu item appears.  Is BT supposed to list only Snooze if the localhost has no GPU?  Because to clarify, the localhost with the problem is a core duo NB with no GPU, but BT's systray context menu has both Snooze & Snooze Gpu, both grayed-out ;)
Ok so the CPU is grayed out.
What can be the case, is that the computer is not called localhost. Exactly so, in lower case.
Or there is no connection.
Or the BOINC host may not support "get_cc_status"
In the expert tab, set the reconnect value to something other than 0. It may be that the local host has trouble connecting, at the first try.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on June 21, 2010, 03:01:26 PM
Quote from: jjwhalen on June 21, 2010, 01:46:15 PM

Edit:
Ok so the CPU is grayed out.
What can be the case, is that the computer is not called localhost. Exactly so, in lower case.
Or there is no connection.
Or the BOINC host may not support "get_cc_status"
In the expert tab, set the reconnect value to something other than 0. It may be that the local host has trouble connecting, at the first try.

You nailed it:
QuoteWhat can be the case, is that the computer is not called localhost. Exactly so, in lower case.
For whatever reason, in the IP Address field it was listed by the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 ??? (which I didn't pay attention to, since 'localhost' is technically only an alias {URL!} for 127.0.0.1).  But there it is, line 4 of the BT manual...duh :-[  Interesting, though, that everything seemed to work with 127.0.0.1 except that one function!

All better now, thanks ;D

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 21, 2010, 05:59:30 PM
For whatever reason, in the IP Address field it was listed by the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 ??? (which I didn't pay attention to, since 'localhost' is technically only an alias {URL!} for 127.0.0.1).  But there it is, line 4 of the BT manual...duh :-[  Interesting, though, that everything seemed to work with 127.0.0.1 except that one function!

All better now, thanks ;D
To make sure this doesn't happen again, with someone else.
And even " localhost" instead of "localhost" may cause a problem.
I now check the IP Address, for anything with 127.0.0.1 or anything with localhost. If found the name is changed to localhost.

John C

Sorry to ask an even dumber question, but where are the snooze and snooze GPU buttons?  I don't think I've ever seen them.

fred

Quote from: John C on June 23, 2010, 01:44:02 PM
Sorry to ask an even dumber question, but where are the snooze and snooze GPU buttons?  I don't think I've ever seen them.
The BoincTasks icon in the taskbar.
Right mouse should give you the menu.

Items are:

Open
Update
About
Snooze <<<<<<<<
Snooze GPU <<<<<<<<<<
Exit

John C

Oh.  OK.  I understand now.  So this only affects the local computer (which is why the "localhost" config is so important for this feature).

jjwhalen

Quote from: John C on June 23, 2010, 11:02:38 PM
Oh.  OK.  I understand now.  So this only affects the local computer (which is why the "localhost" config is so important for this feature).

Yup...but at my request there's a low priority feature item on the wishlist to allow snooze all or selected computers, possibly from the Extra menu on the main BT window.