Higher CPU-load when monitoring remote clients

Started by Nowi, March 13, 2011, 10:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowi

Hello,

I´m new to the forum, but using BT for a long time. I searched for my question, but I found nothing.

When I monitor remote clients I notice a much higher load on my CPU which runs BT. The load ascends from 0-1 % when monitoring localhost to factor 3 to 4 up on monitoring remote clients too.

Why ascends the CPU load that much?
Can I change some properties to lower CPU load?

System: Win7 64 Enterprise

Thank you for your answers!

Cheers

Nowi

fred

Quote from: Nowi on March 13, 2011, 10:13:03 AM
When I monitor remote clients I notice a much higher load on my CPU which runs BT. The load ascends from 0-1 % when monitoring localhost to factor 3 to 4 up on monitoring remote clients too.

Why ascends the CPU load that much?
Can I change some properties to lower CPU load?
The CPU load depends on many things and may vary depending on a local connection or a more remote connecting.

The extra CPU load should be gone when you
  • hide BT. In that mode only the History will take up CPU time.
    And... BT runs on a higher activity refresh mode, for the first minute after startup. So wait a minute or 2 after starting BT to check the CPU load.

To lessen the CPU load: Extra BoincTasks Settings:

1) View: Refresh rate slow or manual. This is the part that takes up CPU time, reading all the computer tasks.
    2) History, when active the history will take up CPU time always. You can minimize it by setting the maximum update time to 120 Seconds. Well behaved projects should have no problem with this higher setting.
    3) History, setting a shorter history, when you have thousands of tasks, may improve things a bit.
    4) Disabling the history, when you have 5000+ tasks combined.
    5) Show only one computer at a time, instead of all of them.

Try using the latest beta version.

Nowi

Thank you for your answer and hints. I will try them!

Nowi