Cancelled by server

Started by jjwhalen, May 09, 2010, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

Fred,

Are you familiar with the result cancellation function of the BOINC project server?  The server can order the client to cancel results that have not yet started to run, usually for purposes of redundancy.  Not all projects use the function, but SETI/SETI Beta and Yoyo definitely do.  After a project update, the result will suddenly show up (in BM) as Progress=100%, with a Status message of "Cancelled by server."  Strangely there's nothing in Messages, which I believe is a bug the BOINC team should address.  

Apparently BT doesn't quite know what to do with these tasks.  They go red (i.e., Error color), with Progress=100%, but with a generic computation error status, nothing about being cancelled by server.  In History they show up as "Reported: Aborted," which erroneously implies an abort by the user.  It would be helpful if you could capture this situation and display a Status in Tasks of "Cancelled by server," with appropriate disposition entry in History.  I wish I could tell you what the XML from the core client says in this situation, but I can't.  The information at Yoyo resultid 6507953, particularly Exit Status -221 (0xffffff23), might help.  (Don't wait too long to check that out--Yoyo doesn't keep completed results in his database very long.)

Thanks in advance.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on May 09, 2010, 11:33:44 PM
Fred,

Are you familiar with the result cancellation function of the BOINC project server?  The server can order the client to cancel results that have not yet started to run, usually for purposes of redundancy.  Not all projects use the function, but SETI/SETI Beta and Yoyo definitely do.  After a project update, the result will suddenly show up (in BM) as Progress=100%, with a Status message of "Cancelled by server."  Strangely there's nothing in Messages, which I believe is a bug the BOINC team should address.  

Apparently BT doesn't quite know what to do with these tasks.  They go red (i.e., Error color), with Progress=100%, but with a generic computation error status, nothing about being cancelled by server.  In History they show up as "Reported: Aborted," which erroneously implies an abort by the user.  It would be helpful if you could capture this situation and display a Status in Tasks of "Cancelled by server," with appropriate disposition entry in History.  I wish I could tell you what the XML from the core client says in this situation, but I can't.  The information at Yoyo resultid 6507953, particularly Exit Status -221 (0xffffff23), might help.  (Don't wait too long to check that out--Yoyo doesn't keep completed results in his database very long.)

Thanks in advance.

The Boinc source code works in mysterious ways.

if ($result->exit_status == -221) {
                    return "Cancelled by server";
                }
                return "Aborted by user";

Or:

return "Redundant result";
            }

Added to V 0.55

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on May 10, 2010, 07:36:46 AM
--SNIP--

}

Or:

}

Added to V 0.55

Thanks.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on May 10, 2010, 07:36:46 AM
Quote from: jjwhalen on May 09, 2010, 11:33:44 PM
Fred,

Apparently BT doesn't quite know what to do with these tasks.  They go red (i.e., Error color), with Progress=100%, but with a generic computation error status, nothing about being cancelled by server.  In History they show up as "Reported: Aborted," which erroneously implies an abort by the user.  It would be helpful if you could capture this situation and display a Status in Tasks of "Cancelled by server," with appropriate disposition entry in History.  I wish I could tell you what the XML from the core client says in this situation, but I can't.  The information at Yoyo resultid 6507953, particularly Exit Status -221 (0xffffff23), might help.  (Don't wait too long to check that out--Yoyo doesn't keep completed results in his database very long.)

Thanks in advance.

}

Or:

}

Added to V 0.55

Fred,

I finally got another "Cancelled by server" result (Yoyo resultid 6738879) to test this v0.55 fix:
Quote(Add) - Tasks/History: Error status: Aborted by project.
on.  The exit code is verified in the Yoyo database as -221 (0xffffff23).  BT showed the Status in Tasks as "Aborted" rather than Aborted by project :(  The Status in History reads "Reported: Aborted" just like before :'(  Could you verify that your revised source code made it into the v0.55 compile?

Thanks.

(P.S., I'm currently running BOINC 6.10.56.)

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on May 18, 2010, 12:21:21 AM
Fred,

I finally got another "Cancelled by server" result (Yoyo resultid 6738879) to test this v0.55 fix:
Quote(Add) - Tasks/History: Error status: Aborted by project.
on.  The exit code is verified in the Yoyo database as -221 (0xffffff23).  BT showed the Status in Tasks as "Aborted" rather than Aborted by project :(  The Status in History reads "Reported: Aborted" just like before :'(  Could you verify that your revised source code made it into the v0.55 compile?

Thanks.

(P.S., I'm currently running BOINC 6.10.56.)
Missed the Abort state, only did the error state.