News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

CPU % revisited

Started by jjwhalen, March 14, 2010, 12:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

I've noticed that PrimeGrid's AP26 Search (cuda23) application (their only GPU app), through its entire run, consistently shows a 'CPU %' of 0.00 with the 'CPU % Long time average' option unchecked, and a null field with it checked.

Now the latest version of AP26/cuda23, (v1.01, deployed 26Feb2010), has a really low CPU:GPU ratio.  According to my Task history on a quad core/GTS250 host, <=0.5 CPUsec on an Elapsed Time ~500 sec is typical.  (Which is only ~0.1% or less, but still nonzero.)  Their previous version (v1.00) had a more typical CPU load of ~10%.

Does BT literally round low CPU usage down (as indicated by CPU %=[0.00] in this case)?  Or is this possibly a side effect of the change mentioned in the release notes for BT v0.43:
Quote-(FIXED) Task view: Sometimes with progress below 1% the progress was not shown properly. Now the alternative way is only used when the progress % is below 0.01%. This is only uses in the first phase of GPU Tasks.
?  I'm posting this as a question rather than a bug, since either way it's not the end of the world :)  However, it might not be a bad idea for the 'CPU %--Long time average' to at least show 0.00 consistent with the short time option, rather than a null field. (Just a thought ;))

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on March 14, 2010, 12:57:04 AM
I've noticed that PrimeGrid's AP26 Search (cuda23) application (their only GPU app), through its entire run, consistently shows a 'CPU %' of 0.00 with the 'CPU % Long time average' option unchecked, and a null field with it checked.

Now the latest version of AP26/cuda23, (v1.01, deployed 26Feb2010), has a really low CPU:GPU ratio.  According to my Task history on a quad core/GTS250 host, <=0.5 CPUsec on an Elapsed Time ~500 sec is typical.  (Which is only ~0.1% or less, but still nonzero.)  Their previous version (v1.00) had a more typical CPU load of ~10%.

Does BT literally round low CPU usage down (as indicated by CPU %=[0.00] in this case)?  Or is this possibly a side effect of the change mentioned in the release notes for BT v0.43:
Quote-(FIXED) Task view: Sometimes with progress below 1% the progress was not shown properly. Now the alternative way is only used when the progress % is below 0.01%. This is only uses in the first phase of GPU Tasks.
?  I'm posting this as a question rather than a bug, since either way it's not the end of the world :)  However, it might not be a bad idea for the 'CPU %--Long time average' to at least show 0.00 consistent with the short time option, rather than a null field. (Just a thought ;))

Best wishes.
The fix mentioned if for the progress not for the CPU%.
But I will make some changes, if CPU % < 1% add 2 digits, like 0.0001 and round of properly. 0.0000 should be shown as empty.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on March 14, 2010, 10:53:34 PM
--SNIP--
But I will make some changes, if CPU % < 1% add 2 digits, like 0.0001 and round of properly. 0.0000 should be shown as empty.

Sounds like the perfect solution...thanks.

Keep enjoying that vacation.  I hope the weather is cooperating.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on March 15, 2010, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: fred on March 14, 2010, 10:53:34 PM
--SNIP--

Sounds like the perfect solution...thanks.

Keep enjoying that vacation.  I hope the weather is cooperating.
The weather is perfect in the 70's clear skies, but it's getting warmer fast. Luckily Tucson has some nice high mountains.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on March 15, 2010, 10:06:06 PM
--SNIP--
The weather is perfect in the 70's clear skies, but it's getting warmer fast. Luckily Tucson has some nice high mountains.

Yes, it's getting warmer here in San Diego also, but supposed to be seasonably cool by the weekend 8)  Happy Vernal Equinox (Saturday I believe).  I've been in Tucson at this time of year (twice); the valley is beautiful & the saguaro are tall.  I've also been there in August (not by choice), on the way from Vallejo, California to Groton, Connecticut (by way of San Antonio).  43degC in the shade, and I wasn't in the shade.  In a BMW Model 2002 without air conditioning ::)  I had to run the heater to keep the engine from overheating >:(  Not an experience I'd recommend.

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on March 16, 2010, 01:01:08 AM
Quote from: fred on March 15, 2010, 10:06:06 PM
--SNIP--

Yes, it's getting warmer here in San Diego also, but supposed to be seasonably cool by the weekend 8)  Happy Vernal Equinox (Saturday I believe).  I've been in Tucson at this time of year (twice); the valley is beautiful & the saguaro are tall.  I've also been there in August (not by choice), on the way from Vallejo, California to Groton, Connecticut (by way of San Antonio).  43degC in the shade, and I wasn't in the shade.  In a BMW Model 2002 without air conditioning ::)  I had to run the heater to keep the engine from overheating >:(  Not an experience I'd recommend.

Best wishes.

I had a similar BMW, stopping after a long ride was a problem, as the cooling was not enough.. Hoping the temp meter would stop rising. I can remember using the heater as cooling, not the ideal thing to do I agree. ;D
And the temps should be dropping from the Mid 80's now to the mid 70's next week.
Almost time to go someplace higher and cooler for April.