New User Remote Computer Issues

Started by li_diver, February 25, 2011, 03:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

li_diver

I just downloaded Boinc Tasks and I am having trouble.  I added a remote computer (manually, scan does not find it).
I copied the  password from gui_rpc_auth.cfg into the password column, and I created a file called remote_hosts.cfg. When I restarted the remote PC Windows firewall warned me abt BOINC using the port.  I unblocked the port.  On my workstation, I disabled the firewall temporarily.  No luck.

After looking over your troubleshooting, I downloaded your Test Client and test server programs and tried that.  The log shows:

25 February 2011 - 09:54:24 Start ---- WSAStartup ok
25 February 2011 - 09:54:24 CreateClientSocket ---- Processing Address 1 returned by getaddrinfo : 127.0.0.1:31418

25 February 2011 - 09:54:24 CreateClientSocket ---- Created client socket with handle = 552
25 February 2011 - 09:54:25 CreateClientSocket ---- CreateClientSocket: connect failed.
Error = No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
25 February 2011 - 09:54:25 CreateClientSocket ---- Freed the memory allocated for res by getaddrinfo
25 February 2011 - 09:54:25 Connect ---- Invalid Socket

The log on the remote machine does not show that there were any attempted connections.

Any idea what this all means?  Thanks.

fred

Quote from: li_diver on February 25, 2011, 03:08:06 PM
I just downloaded Boinc Tasks and I am having trouble.  I added a remote computer (manually, scan does not find it).
I copied the  password from gui_rpc_auth.cfg into the password column, and I created a file called remote_hosts.cfg. When I restarted the remote PC Windows firewall warned me abt BOINC using the port.  I unblocked the port.  On my workstation, I disabled the firewall temporarily.  No luck.

Any idea what this all means?  Thanks.
Go to the computers tab and select Computer "Find Computers" from the menu.
Fill in the first address of the net you are on, if the value is incorrect.
The last value is 255 = last address.
Type in the password of the remote computer.

Press "Scan address range".
See what happens.

Check the BOINC log on the remote computer for any signs. Like connection refused xxxx address.

li_diver

I have tried to use that several times.  It never manages to find anything, and the remote computer never shows any attempted connections.  I have tried to ping the remote computer, that does work.

fred

Quote from: li_diver on February 25, 2011, 08:57:27 PM
I have tried to use that several times.  It never manages to find anything, and the remote computer never shows any attempted connections.  I have tried to ping the remote computer, that does work.
It does work on the local machine, localhost?
Do you have TThrottle running on the remote machine(s).

li_diver

Find Computers has never found anything for me :(

No. I do not have TThrotle running on the remote computer, or this one either, for that matter. 

fred

Quote from: li_diver on February 25, 2011, 09:45:56 PM
Find Computers has never found anything for me :(
No. I do not have TThrotle running on the remote computer, or this one either, for that matter. 
I don't have an answer on my question: does BoincTasks work on your local machine?

li_diver

Yes Boinc Tasks does work on the local machine.

li_diver

Let me just clarify my last answer.  BoincTasks itself does work, but, it does NOT find localhost when I do a "Find Computers".

Bernt

I had more or less the same problem as you have.
You can also check the Usermanual for Boinctask. There it is clearly mentioned how the setup shall be.
Check that the files are in the right folder!

The Remote_host.cfg ended up in the wrong directory!
The remote PC shall have this file in Document and settings\all luser\application data\boinc
Remember that this directory is hidden.
Also the file (gui_rpc_auth.cfg) with the password shall be in this directory.

fred

Quote from: li_diver on February 26, 2011, 01:27:47 PM
Let me just clarify my last answer.  BoincTasks itself does work, but, it does NOT find localhost when I do a "Find Computers".
I see, have to check on that, it works when TThrottle is installed.

li_diver

I just installed BoincTasks on my remote machine.  I can now see it from my workstation.  I thought I saw somewhere that BT does not need to be installed on both machines, or am I mistaken?   In any case, it is working now.

fred

Quote from: li_diver on February 26, 2011, 07:50:51 PM
I just installed BoincTasks on my remote machine.  I can now see it from my workstation.  I thought I saw somewhere that BT does not need to be installed on both machines, or am I mistaken?   In any case, it is working now.
There should be no need for BT to be installed on both machines.
But it may be that this triggered the firewall in opening op a port in need.