Wish: popup gadget in the same monitor window as the main program

Started by JStateson, June 10, 2011, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

It appears that the gadget popup occures in the window where it last popped up.  If I switch monitors one and two (eg: nvidia control panel) and then hold the cursor over the icon, the gadget pops up but is not visible.  I have to switch 2 and 1 back, wait for the gadget to popup and then move it back to the #2 monitor.  I can then switch 1 and 2 and the gadget pops up correctly.  This can be solved (at a minimum) by always popping up the gadget in the same window (monitor) as the main boinctask program.

BT is not the only program that has this problem, a dialog box in Nero also has this behavior as well as a Casio disk title printer popup.  If the popups were visible there would be no problem.  Unaccountably, it is NOT visible and <ALT><space><M>{cursor} cannot be used to move the hidden gadget, as the BT gadget does not have a (M)ove menu unlike nero or casio.

Best Regards!

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on June 10, 2011, 03:06:51 PM
It appears that the gadget popup occures in the window where it last popped up.
I have BT shown on one monitor and the Gadget shown as always on the corner of the other monitor.
What should be possible is set the Gadget to show always on top. Then move the cursor around the edges an see if you can find the window.
Simpler will be to close BT and remove the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks\window_position.
This resets things to the default, because there may be other windows affected.

JStateson

I found what causes this problem to occur and thought I would document it here.  I sometimes turn the monitors off at night but always leave the system running.  Last night a windows auto update caused a reboot and the left monitor became the primary one and the right monitor the secondary.  I noticed this when I turned the monitors back on and I assume this is because the system could not interrogate the pair as they were off and selected the default of left to right after the auto reboot.  I brought up your gadget and dismissed it and then restarted the system.  The reboot put the monitors back with right to left which is what I use and the gadget worked correctly.  I suspect that if I had not brought up the gadget when the monitors were reversed the gadget woudl have been stuck in an off-screen position after the second reboot.