40+ computers

Started by MIZ, March 12, 2010, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIZ

Hi developers
You wrote "tester needed for more than 40 computers" in locked topic here. I have 40+ computers, maybe 43 or 44 now.
I am trying Boinc Tasks only a few days, but it likes it will be a very good and very useful software.
If you wish, I can try help you with testing with 40+ PCs.  :)

fred

Quote from: MIZ on March 12, 2010, 09:37:46 AM
Hi developers
You wrote "tester needed for more than 40 computers" in locked topic here. I have 40+ computers, maybe 43 or 44 now.
I am trying Boinc Tasks only a few days, but it likes it will be a very good and very useful software.
If you wish, I can try help you with testing with 40+ PCs.  :)
Changed the number from 40 to 60 Max as of 0.45.
Let me know if this is workable with so many computers at once.

MIZ

Thanks for this limit upgrade, I can enter all my PCs now with 0.45.  :)
It works fine. I'm using mainly "Tasks" tab, "Projects" + "Messages" tabs sometimes. I set update to "slow". Not all my PCs are online in the same time. I noticed max. 39 connected today.
I'm not using "History" feature yet.
I noticed NO problem with 0.45 version on my PC [quad CPU Intel 9300 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Vista 64 b].

fred

Quote from: MIZ on March 16, 2010, 01:10:22 PM
Thanks for this limit upgrade, I can enter all my PCs now with 0.45.  :)
It works fine. I'm using mainly "Tasks" tab, "Projects" + "Messages" tabs sometimes. I set update to "slow". Not all my PCs are online in the same time. I noticed max. 39 connected today.
I'm not using "History" feature yet.
I noticed NO problem with 0.45 version on my PC [quad CPU Intel 9300 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Vista 64 b].
Let me know if you have any wishes.

MIZ

I have one idea:
When new user click "find computers", program starts automatic searching the WHOLE network. In 2 offices with 10 computers it is not a problem.  :) However if your network is a bit large... I have been waiting about 2 or 3 hours for program become responsible again. It scanned all my PCs on the entire large network and my network is large, over some different countries.  :) And there is no way to stop this process, user can only wait and wait.  ;D
I suggest: Let user can enter IP interval first and start searching manually THEN.  ;)
And maybe it is not necessary to search PCs endless, again and again, waiting only for user click "cancel". Maybe could be better scan IP interval only once, with some "scan again" button or something ...
Yes, it is not a problem for small and "normal" networks.  :) And it is not a problem for users with computers entered already. But some new "lama" user with large network may go a little panic with "not responding, frozen" program.  :)
[I'm talking about full version 0.42, I not tested this with beta 0.44, 0.45.]

Another small idea / question:
Program probably works with all PCS together, in the one batch. It waits for some time and reads all PCs data in one step. So program must wait a bit longer time for slow PCs, for PCs with slow network connection.
Maybe another possibility is read 10 PCs data, refresh screen with tasks, read next 10 PCs, refresh screen ...
Is it a bad idea?
Do you plan your program will be used f. e. on universities with 100 PCs ... or no?  :) BoincView is very good but it is dead probably, it has a bad computing for 2 or more core CPU's PCs. I think BoincTasks will replace it for all DC users with 2 and more PCs.
I hope you understand me.  :)

EDIT:
One next wish / question:  :)
Entering PCs by the network station name, not by IP address
What happens after DHCP server changes IP of PC?

fred

Quote from: MIZ on March 18, 2010, 08:38:19 AM
I have one idea:
When new user click "find computers", program starts automatic searching the WHOLE network. In 2 offices with 10 computers it is not a problem.  :) However if your network is a bit large... I have been waiting about 2 or 3 hours for program become responsible again. It scanned all my PCs on the entire large network and my network is large, over some different countries.  :) And there is no way to stop this process, user can only wait and wait.  ;D
I suggest: Let user can enter IP interval first and start searching manually THEN.  ;)
And maybe it is not necessary to search PCs endless, again and again, waiting only for user click "cancel". Maybe could be better scan IP interval only once, with some "scan again" button or something ...
Yes, it is not a problem for small and "normal" networks.  :) And it is not a problem for users with computers entered already. But some new "lama" user with large network may go a little panic with "not responding, frozen" program.  :)
[I'm talking about full version 0.42, I not tested this with beta 0.44, 0.45.]

Another small idea / question:
Program probably works with all PCS together, in the one batch. It waits for some time and reads all PCs data in one step. So program must wait a bit longer time for slow PCs, for PCs with slow network connection.
Maybe another possibility is read 10 PCs data, refresh screen with tasks, read next 10 PCs, refresh screen ...
Is it a bad idea?
Do you plan your program will be used f. e. on universities with 100 PCs ... or no?  :) BoincView is very good but it is dead probably, it has a bad computing for 2 or more core CPU's PCs. I think BoincTasks will replace it for all DC users with 2 and more PCs.
I hope you understand me.  :)

EDIT:
One next wish / question:  :)
Entering PCs by the network station name, not by IP address
What happens after DHCP server changes IP of PC?
I added it in the todo list: Computer find: Update the screen after every computer (move the search to another thread). Make the cancel button active to abort, this is needed on large networks. The whole search process may take hours.

The refresh has to include all selected computers, so the slow computers determine the refresh rate. Practically I don't see a way around this. One reason is sorting this has to be done a the end of the refresh cycle.
What I was thinking of was grouping the computers and selecting only one group at a time.
So you would get a tree selection with an additional branch for the group.
You don't have to show all computers at the moment you can show individual computers or 2 or 10 by clicking on them.

You should be able to enter a name instead of an IP address. But that depends on how the name is resolved.