Ideas to improve BT

Started by Victor, March 18, 2010, 06:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

BT is good, I like It, How about making the amount of days of work units that are on ones drive match that of the old BoincView as BV 1.42 matches what I set at Seti@Home for My cached work. As so far If one has about 1.5 days of work, BT will say one has about 6-7 days, Way off the mark to Me and possibly others.

Also It says My PC is "This" instead of reading My PCs name, Maybe that could be fixed?

If You can't find BV 1.42, I guess I could send You a copy, As It's on the hdd here Fred.  ;D

If You need It PM Me so I could get Your email address and I'll send It asap.

And in general BT could stand to use some or a lot of the ideas in BV that BT isn't already using already.

Oh and the number of tasks on the machine or being sent, etc, leave that alone, please that is the single thing someone could wish for as then It means one doesn't have to count how many Tasks(WU's) one has, It's already done and one knows, instantly, I love It, Many thanks. :)

Oh and Thanks for making a 64 bit version in a unified installer Fred.  ;D

fred

Quote from: Victor on March 18, 2010, 06:18:03 PM
1) BT is good, I like It, How about making the amount of days of work units that are on ones drive match that of the old BoincView as BV 1.42 matches what I set at Seti@Home for My cached work. As so far If one has about 1.5 days of work, BT will say one has about 6-7 days, Way off the mark to Me and possibly others.

2) Also It says My PC is "This" instead of reading My PCs name, Maybe that could be fixed?

3) If You can't find BV 1.42, I guess I could send You a copy, As It's on the hdd here Fred.  ;D

And in general BT could stand to use some or a lot of the ideas in BV that BT isn't already using already.

Oh and the number of tasks on the machine or being sent, etc, leave that alone, please that is the single thing someone could wish for as then It means one doesn't have to count how many Tasks(WU's) one has, It's already done and one knows, instantly, I love It, Many thanks. :)

1) BoincTasks uses the normal Work buffer setting in BOINC. It should be the same in BoincManager and BoincTasks. Extra->BOINC Settings -> Network -> Additional work buffer.
The amount of work you see in the filtered data, like tasks ready to start is the amount of work / core / gpu.
So if you have 8 cores 8 days means 1 day.

2) Computers show. Change the computer id to something else.
There is one problem, you have to rename the history file to match the new computer name. (Close BoincTasks first before you try to rename it).
I made a note in the todo list to search for the computer name.
3) I try not to look too much to other programs ;D, for the moment it works fine by adding user request.

Victor

Quote from: fred on March 18, 2010, 11:17:58 PM
Quote from: Victor on March 18, 2010, 06:18:03 PM
1) BT is good, I like It, How about making the amount of days of work units that are on ones drive match that of the old BoincView as BV 1.42 matches what I set at Seti@Home for My cached work. As so far If one has about 1.5 days of work, BT will say one has about 6-7 days, Way off the mark to Me and possibly others.

2) Also It says My PC is "This" instead of reading My PCs name, Maybe that could be fixed?

3) If You can't find BV 1.42, I guess I could send You a copy, As It's on the hdd here Fred.  ;D

1) BoincTasks uses the normal Work buffer setting in BOINC. It should be the same in BoincManager and BoincTasks. Extra->BOINC Settings -> Network -> Additional work buffer.
The amount of work you see in the filtered data, like tasks ready to start is the amount of work / core / gpu.
So if you have 8 cores 8 days means 1 day.

2) Computers show. Change the computer id to something else.
There is one problem, you have to rename the history file to match the new computer name. (Close BoincTasks first before you try to rename it).
I made a note in the todo list to search for the computer name.
3) I try not to look too much to other programs ;D, for the moment it works fine by adding user request.
1) Um lets see BT says 18 days worth of cached WU's which is flat impossible as Seti@Home only allows at most a 10 day cache and since I set My 4 cores(QX6700 @ 3.30GHz or 3.52GHz when I get some better fans soon) at 5 days, If I did set for 10 days Your program would then say wrongly that I had 36 Days of WU's on My PC or about 3.6 times more than the PC really has.
2) Why didn't the program just name the History file after the PCs name instead? It would be much simpler for the user.
3) Just trying to help, BV seems to be the Gold Standard and You are trying to go into an area dominated by BV, Deceased Author or not.

fred

Quote from: Victor on March 19, 2010, 01:05:02 AM
1) Um lets see BT says 18 days worth of cached WU's which is flat impossible as Seti@Home only allows at most a 10 day cache and since I set My 4 cores(QX6700 @ 3.30GHz or 3.52GHz when I get some better fans soon) at 5 days, If I did set for 10 days Your program would then say wrongly that I had 36 Days of WU's on My PC or about 3.6 times more than the PC really has.
2) Why didn't the program just name the History file after the PCs name instead? It would be much simpler for the user.
3) Just trying to help, BV seems to be the Gold Standard and You are trying to go into an area dominated by BV, Deceased Author or not.
1) I added this to the todo list: Project view: Add a column with the amount of work / time. Taking into account the number of cores / gpus the system has.
2) It's now on my todo list.
3) I don't want to copy another program, but I want to improve. If someone wants to use BV I won't stop him/her. Some may be so used to BV that they don't want to switch.
In this way there is a choice.