Suggestion: PC Disconnect Notice...

Started by pcenginefx, March 19, 2010, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcenginefx

Fred,

Been using your BOINC Manager since the beginning of the month and I am LOVING it.  I have 6 PCs at home here and your manager easily shows me the tasks being done, as well as performance of each of my PCs using the statistics graph.

Had one suggestion which I hope can be included into BOINC Manager or instead point me to where I can find some free application for this.  What I'd like to see is a way to be notified that a PC went down either by email or text to my phone.  One idea that would be perfect at least for my situation would be adding a Twitter feature in the app so that if a machine goes down the app will twitter the problem to my account.  This notice would then be sent from Twitter to my phone, alerting me to the issue.  All I'm worried about is machine disconnection so it wouldn't need to be anything elaborate.  Anyway, just an idea.

On a side note, I'd love to throw a few $ your way as well for continued BOINC Manager development.. let me know how!

-Aaron

fred

Quote from: pcenginefx on March 19, 2010, 04:40:23 PM
Fred,

Been using your BOINC Manager since the beginning of the month and I am LOVING it.  I have 6 PCs at home here and your manager easily shows me the tasks being done, as well as performance of each of my PCs using the statistics graph.

Had one suggestion which I hope can be included into BOINC Manager or instead point me to where I can find some free application for this.  What I'd like to see is a way to be notified that a PC went down either by email or text to my phone.  One idea that would be perfect at least for my situation would be adding a Twitter feature in the app so that if a machine goes down the app will twitter the problem to my account.  This notice would then be sent from Twitter to my phone, alerting me to the issue.  All I'm worried about is machine disconnection so it wouldn't need to be anything elaborate.  Anyway, just an idea.

On a side note, I'd love to throw a few $ your way as well for continued BOINC Manager development.. let me know how!

-Aaron

There should be programs around that can do something like that. It's a bit beyond the scope of BoincTasks.
I use a hard solution myself. I order the computer to shutdown at a specific time. A few minutes later a timer shuts down the computer and powers it up 5 minutes later.
The computer, as most computer, has a auto start at powerup. This is the most secure way to be sure the computer keeps running. ;D That is until a fuse blows...

Donations are always welcome:
http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=24.msg64#msg64