I wish BOINCtasks didn't hijack my browser History

Started by Darr247, September 08, 2011, 01:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darr247

when there's a new version available.

I downloaded it as soon as it came out, but did not install it right away. Now I find BT's been erasing my browser (IE9) History every day since the update was released and replacing it with %AppData%\eFMer\BoincTasks\html\notices.html.   :-|

I don't remember agreeing to that.

Pepo

My IE9's history contains just 1 daily "notices.html" entry, in addition to a couple (5-6, I use mostly Chrome, while IE is still set as default) of other entries.

Do you get loads of "notices.html" entries, or you see other existing entries vanishing?

(I do use my own Notices template, if it matters.)
Peter

fred

Quote from: Darr247 on September 08, 2011, 01:20:11 PM
I downloaded it as soon as it came out, but did not install it right away. Now I find BT's been erasing my browser (IE9) History every day since the update was released and replacing it with %AppData%\eFMer\BoincTasks\html\notices.html.   :-|
Normally local files shouldn't be in the history. BoincTasks opens the notices.html file only once and the refreshes it afterwards.
So if there is any entry it should be there only once. But on my computer I don't see any.
Ctrl + Shift + H should show the history.

BoincTasks doesn't delete the history, so some other program?

Pepo

Quote from: fred on September 08, 2011, 03:22:31 PM
Normally local files shouldn't be in the history. BoincTasks opens the notices.html file only once and the refreshes it afterwards.
So if there is any entry it should be there only once. But on my computer I don't see any.
I beg... Maybe it is since IE8 (or even IE7?), my IE history (often) contains local files, which have been accessed by some / (m)any applications (at least, I can see some of Explorer, Word, WinRAR, Chrome, OpenOffice, PDF Reader, etc. putting their entries there.)

Depending on the sorting mode, they get grouped into a "Computer"-named location (appears like sort of a web-server or web-page in the history, like e.g. a " Wish list" URL entry is being placed under "efmer (www.efmer.eu)" container).
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on September 08, 2011, 04:55:44 PM
I beg...

You are right, there are local entries but not from BoincTasks.
On another computer, also with the same IE9 I see one entry file:///C:/Users/fred/AppData/Roaming/eFMer/BoincTasks/html/notices.html
But it was gone a few minutes later. :o

Pepo

Quote from: fred on September 08, 2011, 05:06:40 PM
Quote from: Pepo on September 08, 2011, 04:55:44 PM
I beg...
You are right, there are local entries but not from BoincTasks.
On another computer, also with the same IE9 I see one entry file:///C:/Users/fred/AppData/Roaming/eFMer/BoincTasks/html/notices.html
But it was gone a few minutes later. :o
No idea.
I've just checked another Win7 machine, where I do not even start IE for weeks, just Chrome runs. Launched IE9 a"notices.html" can be found there for each of the past days, and keep there. Including a few files I've touched.

But back to the topic. Darr247, what have you meant with the hijack and replace?
Peter