Job deadlines and task priorities...

Started by CFx, October 06, 2011, 04:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFx

I had a question about BT and the way it handles running the different project tasks. Will this program give priority to tasks in which their deadlines are coming up?

I know it gives a deadline warning if you set it in the program options, but I wanted to know if it has the other behavior automatically, or if there is some way to set this... If there isn't this feature, it might be nice to have the option to tell BT to run jobs that have a chance to finish if it's running with a higher priority over those that have a deadline that is further off.

Pepo

Quote from: CFx on October 06, 2011, 04:19:21 AM
I had a question about BT [...] Will this program give priority to tasks in which their deadlines are coming up? [...] If there isn't this feature, it might be nice to have the option to tell BT to run jobs that have a chance to finish if it's running with a higher priority over those that have a deadline that is further off.
No. BT does only observe running tasks. Additionally BOINC client does not (yet?? I've been already asking for some in the past) define any means to raise a task's priority externally (except a few workarounds like increasing connection interval over the task's deadline, which would of course influence all tasks with a sooner deadline). ATM it is solely the client's responsibility to raise a task's priority, after recognizing that it might be late.
Peter