Commands for the Computers view, or a new new Computers view?

Started by Pepo, December 17, 2009, 09:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

Similar to the Tasks and Projects, the Computers window could also have a context menu for the (selected) computers (and/or a toolbar) with various useful commands, like:

• snooze/suspend/resume/basedonprefs CPU activity
  • snooze/suspend/resume/basedonprefs GPU activity
  • suspend/resume networking
  • reset STD debts
  • reset LTD debts
  • reset GPU debts
  • shut down client
  • run benchmarks
  • read config file
  • read local prefs file
  • etc.

Currently the Computers window is just a list of computers the user can connect to (and open "their" window). Maybe, for clarification and fast overview, one more column could state, whether there is an active communication ongoing with any particular computer? (Note that there are/were folks with manymany dozens of computers, controlled by BoincView.)

Another possibility, which would IMHO better fit into current concept: I think that currently you can open a new "Combined [...][....]" window for any group of computers. Each window has then its own set of (one to n) computers and you can display their Projects, Tasks, Messages, etc. Let's add a Computers button into the Selection bar and Computers entry in the Show menu. When pressed, such window would list computers maintained by this window (and which of them are (or were recently) online) and their lines could support context menus with mentioned commands. I guess that the Operation toolbar could also get 1-2 most important options added...

A related bug:

• It is not possible to add computers to / remove from a selection using <Ctrl>+<mouseclick>.
    The <Shift>+<click>, <Shift>+<Up/Down cursor keys> and <Ctrl>+<Up/Down cursor keys>+<Space> selections work correctly.
Peter

fred

For the moment that goes beyond what I had planned. ;D

The computer window is intended for selection only. I personally never touch that window, once it is set up.
The computer toolbar now holds all selected computers. You can select any number of computers from that window.

Most of the commands are already in the most used windows.

The selection in computers is not that fancy, but removing computers is not something you do all the time. And if you do, one at a time is a lot safer.

Maybe someday when I have absolutely nothing else to do. ;D

Pepo

Sure, I understand, it would be a lot to do it all at once.
Just an idea.
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on December 17, 2009, 03:02:58 PM
Sure, I understand, it would be a lot to do it all at once.
Just an idea.
I use it as input and as always something will filter trough. As a result I added a disconnected icon to the computer bar. So you can see the connected computers more easily.