Tooltips over truncated strings

Started by Pepo, December 15, 2009, 11:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

It often happens that some columns are a bit narrow and trailing parts of message / application / task / project / date / time / etc. string are "truncat..." :) To be able see the hidden text, it is necessary to enlarge (and then narrow back) the column.

• When hovering mouse cursor over such text, a tool tip containing the whole text could be displayed.
  • Such tooltip is usally left-aligned with the original text. But if the tool tip would be displayed through the right display border (or left border for any right-to-left reading locale? ;D OK kidding now), it's position should be shifted to the left as much as necessary to display the whole tool tip on-screen. (A good example of ignoring such situation is Boinc Manager - it has no problem :-\ to display tooltips obscured by the screen border.)
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on December 15, 2009, 11:07:49 AM
It often happens that some columns are a bit narrow and trailing parts of message / application / task / project / date / time / etc. string are "truncat..." :) To be able see the hidden text, it is necessary to enlarge (and then narrow back) the column.

• When hovering mouse cursor over such text, a tool tip containing the whole text could be displayed.
  • Such tooltip is usally left-aligned with the original text. But if the tool tip would be displayed through the right display border (or left border for any right-to-left reading locale? ;D OK kidding now), it's position should be shifted to the left as much as necessary to display the whole tool tip on-screen. (A good example of ignoring such situation is Boinc Manager - it has no problem :-\ to display tooltips obscured by the screen border.)
You give me interesting problems ;D, I added that one to the list.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on December 15, 2009, 06:18:31 PM
You give me interesting problems ;D, I added that one to the list.

My speciality is making problems :P
Peter

jjwhalen

I just noticed this thread.

I believe tooltip on a truncated field is a standard MS Windows library you just have to call from your app ;)

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on February 07, 2010, 03:22:49 AM
I just noticed this thread.

I believe tooltip on a truncated field is a standard MS Windows library you just have to call from your app ;)

Best wishes.
It is there somewhere, but I know these things mostly involve a bit more. ;D
A couple of .... 100 lines of code will be more like it, what I have seen so far.
Nothing too difficult but something to do someday.