handle REC for BOINC v 7

Started by archae86, June 11, 2012, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archae86

I'm no expert on this, but people I normally trust say that with BOINC version 7 debt is gone, while a not completely different thing called REC is a crucial element in determining how work across multiple projects is managed for both download and running priority.  I don't know how or whether it is published, save that it appears in client_state.xml for each project using the tag <rec>.

As I've found the debt column in BoincTasks interesting, I'd think it useful to handle REC.  I don't know the best way, but the simplest might be to leave the debt display for older BOINC hosts as-is, but display REC in the same column for newer hosts.

However, it has always seemed odd to me that BoincTasks displays debt as a column in the Tasks view, as I think it is a project attribute.  So my real guess of the best thing to do would be to remove the existing debt column from the Task view, and to add a new column to the Projects view, which for hosts running older BOINC would be populated with the debt value, and for current V7 hosts would be populated with the REC value.  Possibly the column header should best indicate both possibilities (perhaps debt/REC).

fred

Quote from: archae86 on June 11, 2012, 11:30:14 PM
I'm no expert on this, but people I normally trust say that with BOINC version 7 debt is gone, while a not completely different thing called REC is a crucial element in determining how work across multiple projects is managed for both download and running priority.  I don't know how or whether it is published, save that it appears in client_state.xml for each project using the tag <rec>.
Debt is gone in V7, BoincTasks shows everything as it was on V6 clients.
In V7 you can check project properties. Scheduling priority is the replacement for debt.