BT 0.61

Started by John C, June 18, 2010, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John C

Since we don't yet have "application stalled", I just created a rule for computer "Cruncher-1" on project "DNETC@HOME" (no application) that if Elapsed Time > Value(12:00) (No Time) then color purple and suspend task.  I've had a couple tasks go over, but nothing has happened.

1.  Are the rule actions not coded yet?
2.  Is application or time required?
3.  Did I somehow misspell the computer or project name (I am sure they both match what is shown on the tasks screen)
4.  Is there a bug?

Not sure what is wrong, but I'm not seeing what I was expecting to see.

fred

Quote from: John C on June 18, 2010, 03:14:17 AM
Since we don't yet have "application stalled", I just created a rule for computer "Cruncher-1" on project "DNETC@HOME" (no application) that if Elapsed Time > Value(12:00) (No Time) then color purple and suspend task.  I've had a couple tasks go over, but nothing has happened.

1.  Are the rule actions not coded yet?
2.  Is application or time required?
3.  Did I somehow misspell the computer or project name (I am sure they both match what is shown on the tasks screen)
4.  Is there a bug?

Not sure what is wrong, but I'm not seeing what I was expecting to see.
1) Should be.
2) Not required
3) If you need a rule to apply to a certain computer, best use the right mouse button in Tasks and select add Rule.
This way you don't type the wrong name.
4) May very well be one. ;D I only tested this for a couple of days.

5) The history option MUST be switched on.

John C

Quote from: fred on June 18, 2010, 07:22:47 AM

Doh.  There's my problem.  I tried enabling history once before, but I ended up getting some kind of out of memory error (on a 16GB machine) even with it turned down to just one day of history.  I'll try it again and test the rules as well as try to determine what exactly the issue was with the history.  Thanks.

fred

Quote from: John C on June 19, 2010, 03:32:42 PM

Doh.  There's my problem.  I tried enabling history once before, but I ended up getting some kind of out of memory error (on a 16GB machine) even with it turned down to just one day of history.  I'll try it again and test the rules as well as try to determine what exactly the issue was with the history.  Thanks.
I haven't seen any problems with the history, even with large amounts of tasks.
Just in case V 0.61 now makes a dump file, when there is a crash.
In 0.62 you can lower the history to 1 hour.

John C

3) If you need a rule to apply to a certain computer, best use the right mouse button in Tasks and select add Rule.

This doesn't work for me.  Are you certain it is tied to the column regardless of positioning and still functions when I move the "computer" column?  Because when I right click in the tasks window, nothing happens.

glennaxl

Find Computers->Find->Cancel
Find Computers->Find->Cancel
Will briefly show the progress bar (about 25%) before it closes.

Find Computers->Cancel
Will briefly show the progress bar (no progress) before it closes.

jjwhalen

Quote from: John C on June 19, 2010, 05:06:45 PM

This doesn't work for me.  Are you certain it is tied to the column regardless of positioning and still functions when I move the "computer" column?  Because when I right click in the tasks window, nothing happens.
John,

I've tested this and I can't reproduce your problem :'(  I've moved the Computer column around to several locations including column 1 with same result: Rt-click/Add_rule calls up a rule editor on the highlighted task and auto-inserts computer name, project & application.  (BTW the test rule also works.) This is on a WinVista_x64 SP2 host.  I believe you are running on Win7_x64?

John C

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 19, 2010, 09:30:23 PM

This doesn't work for me.  Are you certain it is tied to the column regardless of positioning and still functions when I move the "computer" column?  Because when I right click in the tasks window, nothing happens.
John,

I've tested this and I can't reproduce your problem :'(  I've moved the Computer column around to several locations including column 1 with same result: Rt-click/Add_rule calls up a rule editor on the highlighted task and auto-inserts computer name, project & application.  (BTW the test rule also works.) This is on a WinVista_x64 SP2 host.  I believe you are running on Win7_x64?

I am running Win7_x64, but here's the really weird thing... I can't reproduce it now either.  It works just fine now.  ????  Oh well, if it happens again I'll try to figure out why, but for now just ignore this one.  Sorry.

Oh, and one other thing... the rules are working great now.  I've already caught a real error and prevented it from keeping my system hung up doing nothing.  Some might wish that you could manually start a process running again with it getting throw back to suspend (ie, there is no override without disable the rule entirely).  But there are a lot of other things I would prefer before worrying about that.  Overall, very happy to have this working.

wicked

Quote from: fred on June 17, 2010, 06:07:40 AM
Quote from: wicked on June 17, 2010, 04:37:03 AM
Quote from: fred on June 12, 2010, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: Corsair on June 12, 2010, 02:50:49 PM
1 - after exit from BT, size and position of the window when restarted BT not saved.
1 - Works with me, use File -> exit to store these settings.
This has never worked for me..  :'( not even using File -> Exit that I tried. BoincTasks always starts with default size and on my
Don't know why, I've seen it myself, something between versions.
I use a second monitor as well and haven't seen any problems.
And.... Windows treats the whole screen, of the 2 monitors as one virtual screen, so the program doesn't see the difference.

Interesting.. I did some debugging on this issue on v0.61 and here's the registry entries that are storing the main window position (as far as I can tell):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks\window_position]
"main_show"=dword:00000001
"main_bottom"=dword:00000306
"main_left"=dword:fffff88e
"main_right"=dword:fffffffd
"main_top"=dword:00000003

Those main_left and main_right values look interesting.. Could it be that BoincTasks think they are invalid or have they been stored incorrectly due to some overflow or something?

Maybe it's relevant that I'm moving BoincTasks window to my monitor that's located on the left side of my primary monitor? When I keep BoincTasks window on my primary monitor, BoincTasks saves and restored the window position correctly. But when I start with the quoted registry values BoincTasks starts with a default window position (on my primary monitor).

Hope this helps you to debug this issue further as it would be nice to not always have to move BoincTasks window after restart. Not that I restart my workstation or BoincTasks that often anyway but still.. :)

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 19, 2010, 09:30:23 PM

John,

I've tested this and I can't reproduce your problem :'(  I've moved the Computer column around to several locations including column 1 with same result: Rt-click/Add_rule calls up a rule editor on the highlighted task and auto-inserts computer name, project & application.  (BTW the test rule also works.) This is on a WinVista_x64 SP2 host.  I believe you are running on Win7_x64?
I moved the computer from the last to the first column, on Win 7 64 and that works.

fred

Quote from: wicked on June 20, 2010, 08:03:12 AM
Quote from: fred on June 17, 2010, 06:07:40 AM
Quote from: wicked on June 17, 2010, 04:37:03 AM
Quote from: fred on June 12, 2010, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: Corsair on June 12, 2010, 02:50:49 PM
1 - after exit from BT, size and position of the window when restarted BT not saved.
1 - Works with me, use File -> exit to store these settings.
This has never worked for me..  :'( not even using File -> Exit that I tried. BoincTasks always starts with default size and on my
Don't know why, I've seen it myself, something between versions.
I use a second monitor as well and haven't seen any problems.
And.... Windows treats the whole screen, of the 2 monitors as one virtual screen, so the program doesn't see the difference.

Interesting.. I did some debugging on this issue on v0.61 and here's the registry entries that are storing the main window position (as far as I can tell):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks\window_position]
"main_show"=dword:00000001
"main_bottom"=dword:00000306
"main_left"=dword:fffff88e
"main_right"=dword:fffffffd
"main_top"=dword:00000003

Those main_left and main_right values look interesting.. Could it be that BoincTasks think they are invalid or have they been stored incorrectly due to some overflow or something?

Maybe it's relevant that I'm moving BoincTasks window to my monitor that's located on the left side of my primary monitor? When I keep BoincTasks window on my primary monitor, BoincTasks saves and restored the window position correctly. But when I start with the quoted registry values BoincTasks starts with a default window position (on my primary monitor).

Hope this helps you to debug this issue further as it would be nice to not always have to move BoincTasks window after restart. Not that I restart my workstation or BoincTasks that often anyway but still.. :)
Yep I can reproduce that. When restoring, I checked the values for >= 0. That's obviously not something you want to do with left and right. ;D

John C

As discussed previously, I am still having a problem with the history file becoming too large.  It is currently set to 1 day.  Screen cap with exact error message attached.  Let me know if there is any additional diagnostics I can provide.

jjwhalen

Fred,

Oh by the way, while I was chasing the grayed-out snoozers, I noticed the following on my quad/GPU:

• When Snooze [all] is checked, all 5 running tasks change to Status Suspended: User request (this is good);
  • When Snooze Gpu is checked, the running GPU task changes to Status Waiting to run (not so good-should be same as above).

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on June 21, 2010, 10:32:08 PM
Fred,

Oh by the way, while I was chasing the grayed-out snoozers, I noticed the following on my quad/GPU:

• 1) When Snooze [all] is checked, all 5 running tasks change to Status Suspended: User request (this is good);
  • 2) When Snooze Gpu is checked, the running GPU task changes to Status Waiting to run (not so good-should be same as above).
2) Is a BOINC thing, BOINC manager should do the same thing.

fred

Quote from: John C on June 21, 2010, 05:37:30 PM
As discussed previously, I am still having a problem with the history file becoming too large.  It is currently set to 1 day.  Screen cap with exact error message attached.  Let me know if there is any additional diagnostics I can provide.

You've got a lot of work, I changed it in V 0.62, you can go down to 1 hour.
But... the warning is given only once and it's only a warning, everything keeps on working.

But I think you could set the history to 0, should still run all the other things.