Another Wish

Started by stwainer, October 28, 2009, 11:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stwainer

Hi Fred,

Great stuff so far. My wish, though, is this:

I have 20+ computers on a work network crunching. I don't really want to leave BoincTasks running in my tool bar all day and night generating traffic. The problem is when I exit BoincTasks completely, all the computer setup stuff vanishes and I have to re enter all the computer names and passwords. What I would like is a way to automate the entry of the computer names and passwords. Maybe a  comma delimited list such as: computer_name,Ip_address,password. BoincTasks could read the comma delimited list while it starts and populate the computers from that list. I'd prefer to just have: computer_name, password but I'm sure others use IP address.

Thoughts?

steve

Pepo

The import of a list of computers could be a ice feature (BoincView could search clients on a local network and add them to the list if they were running BOINC, a common password could be optionally entered in the search dialog).

I guess that the main problem to solve is that just your BoincTasks is loosing its setup. My BT correctly keeps it over restarts.
Peter

fred

Quote from: stwainer on October 28, 2009, 11:19:45 PM
Hi Fred,

I have 20+ computers on a work network crunching. I don't really want to leave BoincTasks running in my tool bar all day and night generating traffic. The problem is when I exit BoincTasks completely, all the computer setup stuff vanishes and I have to re enter all the computer names and passwords. What I would like is a way to automate the entry of the computer names and passwords. Maybe a  comma delimited list such as: computer_name,Ip_address,password. BoincTasks could read the comma delimited list while it starts and populate the computers from that list. I'd prefer to just have: computer_name, password but I'm sure others use IP address.

Thoughts?

steve
I will add an automatic BOINC search to the wish list for a version to come.
But the settings should stick, it is stored in an xml file.
Sometimes this goes wrong because the computer is different. ;D

Go to Extra->Settings->Expert.

Check "Overrride default (xml) Folder"
Enter the path to a valid folder that you want to hold the file. Don't use a temp storage folder, because they are emptied from time to time.
Open the computer window, enter one computer, close BoincTasks. Check is the file is there and reopen BoincTasks.
This should work.

stwainer

Quote from: fred on October 29, 2009, 07:09:46 AM
Quote from: stwainer on October 28, 2009, 11:19:45 PM
Hi Fred,

Thoughts?

steve
I will add an automatic BOINC search to the wish list for a version to come.
But the settings should stick, it is stored in an xml file.
Sometimes this goes wrong because the computer is different. ;D

Go to Extra->Settings->Expert.

Check "Overrride default (xml) Folder"
Enter the path to a valid folder that you want to hold the file. Don't use a temp storage folder, because they are emptied from time to time.
Open the computer window, enter one computer, close BoincTasks. Check is the file is there and reopen BoincTasks.
This should work.

Thanks Fred. That worked great.

Steve