BT 0.82

Started by Pepo, October 20, 2010, 12:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 20, 2010, 05:33:13 PM
« Reply #75 on: Today at 12:16:32 »
Added: Taskbar->Snooze:Remaining snooze time.
Example of an excellent utilization of available information!

Quote from: Pepo on October 19, 2010, 04:33:13 PM
Quote from: fred on October 19, 2010, 02:35:04 PM
Try to find some more problems.
Will try with 0.82 ;D
Later, later...
With pleasure :D here I go:

• I believe this bug did not get into the ToDo list:
    Quote from: Pepo on October 13, 2010, 07:10:20 PM

• When cells in "Deadline" and "CPU %" are highlighted, then the auto-resizing makes the column too wide, with a plenty of free space around (or to the left). I believe this bug has already been addressed somewhere (the cell color value?).
  • I've updated 0.81 -> 0.82 with BT's autostart afterwards. As soon as BT's tray icon appeared, I've clicked on it to open it, but BT immediately crashed. Sending crash dump off-list.

Afterwards BT 0.82 seems to work flawlessly 8)
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 20, 2010, 12:47:27 PM
    • When cells in "Deadline" and "CPU %" are highlighted, then the auto-resizing makes the column too wide, with a plenty of free space around (or to the left). I believe this bug has already been addressed somewhere (the cell color value?).
    ?? auto resizing, how...?

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 20, 2010, 01:25:24 PM
    ?? auto resizing, how...?
    "The column width auto-resizing." I mean a double-click on the column's horizontal sizer bar.

Quote from: Pepo on October 20, 2010, 12:47:27 PMWhen cells in "Deadline" and "CPU %" are highlighted, [...]
    I mean, the warning cell-background highlighting.
    Peter

fred

[/li]
      [li]I've updated 0.81 -> 0.82 with BT's autostart afterwards. As soon as BT's tray icon appeared, I've clicked on it to open it, but BT immediately crashed. Sending crash dump off-list.
      [/li]
      [/list]
      Testing the dump file, looks like the program wasn't ready yet.
      It has probably to do with the deleting of the crash files, that can take a while.
      Something to check on.

Beyond

• I've updated 0.81 -> 0.82 with BT's autostart afterwards. As soon as BT's tray icon appeared, I've clicked on it to open it, but BT immediately crashed.
      Not a big deal but it would be nice to not have the "Launch BoincTasks" and "WWW BoincTasks" checked by default on the last installation screen every time we install it (or remember the state from the previous install).  BTW, the "Tasks" window is freezing up MUCH less since v0.81.  Of course the problem child FreeHAL has been down for much of that time...

fred

Quote from: Beyond on October 20, 2010, 03:15:09 PM
      Not a big deal but it would be nice to not have the "Launch BoincTasks" and "WWW BoincTasks" checked by default on the last installation screen every time we install it (or remember the state from the previous install).  BTW, the "Tasks" window is freezing up MUCH less since v0.81.  Of course the problem child FreeHAL has been down for much of that time...
      I don't know if I can change the installer behavior on this point, but I will check.
      The history fetching is the one most likely to cause the freezing. In smart mode, that will be the default mode, the number of data read from each computer is drastically reduced.

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 20, 2010, 01:36:31 PM
      "The column width auto-resizing." I mean a double-click on the column's horizontal sizer bar.
      Hmm interesting problem. ???

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 20, 2010, 03:41:35 PM
      Quote from: Pepo on October 20, 2010, 01:36:31 PM
      Hmm interesting problem. ???
      In the past, it was happening, when there were excessive additional spaces (do I remember correctly?) or the tooltip was displaying this color-code integer value. But is not anymore, so...
      Peter

Pepo

Quote from: Beyond on October 20, 2010, 03:15:09 PM
      • I've updated 0.81 -> 0.82 with BT's autostart afterwards.
      Not a big deal but it would be nice to not have the "Launch BoincTasks" and "WWW BoincTasks" checked by default on the last installation screen every time we install it (or remember the state from the previous install).
      I personally am glad and thankful for the existence of the "Launch ..." checkbox. (But it would be nice to not have the "WWW BoincTasks" checked by default ;D OK it is helpful for first-time users) (or "remember" it for returning participants)

[rant]
      I'm not satisfied with BOINC installer's version of this "after-launch"...

If I start BT's installer as a plain user (Win 7), I suppose it is extracting itself, then launching itself again after a successive UAC (already as an admin), then one more subprocess makes the whole installation... Finally one of the initial "myself" processes is launching the newly installed BT (again under my account).

I'm running BOINC in the "compatibility mode" (GPU). If I start BOINC installer as a plain user (Win 7), it is acquiring enough privileges through UAC (I've not yet observed the creation of subprocesses in detail), then installs the whole client+manager, finally I'm getting an option to launch the Manager afterwards. But it is launched as the same privileged admin (#1015), regardless of whether the client+manager+apps should run under some other unprivileged account... ("Service mode" is safe, at least the client and apps are launched under pre-defined unprivileged accounts. But maybe the Manager will still run as an admin?)
      [/rant]
      Peter

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 20, 2010, 02:52:25 PM
        • I've updated 0.81 -> 0.82 with BT's autostart afterwards. As soon as BT's tray icon appeared, I've clicked on it to open it, but BT immediately crashed. Sending crash dump off-list.
        Testing the dump file, looks like the program wasn't ready yet.
        It has probably to do with the deleting of the crash files, that can take a while.
        There were no older crash files, just 3 fresh pieces from 0.81 (still there).
        Possibly "just not ready, but already processing user input"? Never mind...
        Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 20, 2010, 04:49:45 PM
        There were no older crash files, just 3 fresh pieces from 0.81 (still there).
        Possibly "just not ready, but already processing user input"? Never mind...
        dmp files older than 2 weeks are deleted...

glennaxl

Task Properties does not show elapsed and cpu while State is "Uploading". Boincmgr can but BT cannot  ???

fred

Quote from: glennaxl on October 21, 2010, 07:05:18 AM
        Task Properties does not show elapsed and cpu while State is "Uploading". Boincmgr can but BT cannot  ???
        Added to the bug list.

Corsair

At last I made work two ATI in same computer, one in MOBO and the other in PCI, I've to have both of them connected to the screen, otherwise only recognised the connected one ??

the one in MOBO is a tiny one:
        QuoteU-3030
        16         20-10-2010 12:55   ATI GPU 0: ATI Radeon HD 3800 (RV670) (CAL version 1.4.815, 512MB, 464 GFLOPS peak)   
        17         20-10-2010 12:55   ATI GPU 1: ATI Radeon HD 2300/2400/3200 (RV610) (CAL version 1.4.815, 512MB, 45 GFLOPS peak)   

now something rare, the 3200 is nor DB (Double precision) so Milkyway and another projects could not be run, no problem, enough with Collatz and Seti AP ND opt.

the fact is that when crunching both Collatz, the estimated time is bases looks like that in the average of both graphic cards, when the HD3850 is crunching in about 48 min/wu the HD3250 is 7,5 hr/wu as result of this BOINC Manager or BT is showing about 1,5 hr/wu, this sometimes makes the computer works in high priority the project because looks like that there won't be enough time to finish the work.

is this normal??
        Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

Pepo

While starting old computer and logging in, it was very sluggish. I've clicked BT icon in the Win Start menu, but thought I did not and then clicked it once more. I've got a warning:
        ---------------------------
        BoincTasks
        Fatal error, missing file: BoincTasks_ENU.btlang
        Try installing BoincTasks again.
        OK   

Probably the file was somehow exclusively locked by the first instance... but it scared me for a second ;D then the first instance appeared.

Maybe the second instance should better have checked some early-initialized semaphore/mutex/handle belonging just to BoincTasks, like the BOINC client is using a \BaseNamedObjects\BoincSingleInstance mutex?
        Peter