Snooze any/all machine(s)

Started by Pepo, October 14, 2010, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepo

In the past, I've sometimes been faced with the necessity to temporarily snooze external clients (I've been using more of them simultaneously in the past). I do not remember anymore whether BoincView contained this functionality, but at least since using BT I always had to use BOINC Manager to connect to any remote client and snooze it.

As BT is pretty good prepared for it, I'd like to ask for additional entries in Extra menu, there are two equally logical possibilities:

• just below the "Allow to run" + "Allow to run GPU" items, a "Snooze" item, with similar contents like the previous ones:

• first level = "All computers" + separator + "1st machine" + "2nd machine" + ...
    • second level = "Snooze" + "Snooze Gpu"
  • inside the "Allow to run" + "Allow to run GPU" items, then deeper inside the each of "All computers" + separator + "1st machine" + "2nd machine" + ...

• in the "Allow to run" tree, a "Snooze" item just below each "Never" (possibly with a separator in between)
    • in the "Allow to run GPU" tree, a "Snooze Gpu" item just below each "Never" (possibly with a separator in between)
Peter

fred

??? You can snooze all machines by choosing Extra->Allow to run->All Computers->Never.
But the All Computers only shows up when you have more than one computer.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 14, 2010, 02:27:35 PM
??? You can snooze all machines by choosing Extra->Allow to run->All Computers->Never.
But the All Computers only shows up when you have more than one computer.
Well, I know I can do this, but "Never" is not "Snooze" - Snooze suspends "temporarily for one hour", which is quite a difference to "forever".
Peter

fred

Quote from: Pepo on October 14, 2010, 02:44:30 PM
Well, I know I can do this, but "Never" is not "Snooze" - Snooze suspends "temporarily for one hour", which is quite a difference to "forever".
Hmm I'm not sure what the BOINC Manager does, when I select Snooze the selection is Never. But when I select Never, snooze is grayed out.
So in BT Never is probably 1 hour.
Another option is select all projects and select suspend.

I could expand it to Always, Snooze, Based on p, Never. But is there a point to suspend more than 1 hour.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on October 14, 2010, 03:05:22 PM
Quote from: Pepo on October 14, 2010, 02:44:30 PM
Hmm I'm not sure what the BOINC Manager does, when I select Snooze the selection is Never.
That's a pity. It is then snoozed for one hour (counting down). (As you possibly know,) In this case, it is possible to obtain the remaining time over GUI RPC and BoincView has been also displaying it somewhere around... (see also here).

QuoteBut when I select Never, snooze is grayed out.
...because the Never should not be un-snoozed but rather Resumed  :)
I think Snooze can be aklso Resumed - it has more "power".

QuoteSo in BT Never is probably 1 hour.
Might be. Depends on how you've implemented it  ;)
In such case I'd start a lobby for additional real Never  :D

QuoteAnother option is select all projects and select suspend.
It is, sure, but this is again much different category than a client snooze for some time. It has a reason to suspend some projects and leave others running.

QuoteI could expand it to Always, Snooze, Based on p, Never. But is there a point to suspend more than 1 hour.
Off course, for arbitrary number of seconds (again see also here). I'd like to have some snooze duration selector in the snooze function, but I guess it would be tooooo much to ask for  ;D
Peter

fred

I added all the snooze stuff to the to do list.