Strange problem: Elapsed time

Started by jjwhalen, April 28, 2010, 10:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwhalen

I have a loooong (CPU) PrimeGrid task in progress--currently 44:11:33@64.140% complete, on a fast machine.  When it is Running, BT shows a correct ET & CPU time, Progress % and Time Left all consistent with BOINCMgr and the boinc_task_state.xml from the task slot.  However when the task is Waiting or Suspended, BT reverts the Elapsed Time to 05:30:53, and it stays there until the next Run cycle.  Weird, yes ???  Which raises the question(s): where does BT store the Elapsed Time of a task in Status "Waiting to run," and why would it get stuck on an old ET from several days ago?  Both the Progress % and the Time Left continue to display correctly when the task is Waiting.  CPU % while running looks good, so I don't think the task data files are funky.  I've run the same subproject before on the same machine, so the .exe & the wrapper app are probably OK too.

I've only seen this behavior on this one task out of several thousand either completed or in progress since I started using BT.  The problem did not originate with BT 0.52, since the task is a couple of weeks old.  The task in question is on a remote host, in case that matters.  The OS is Vista SP2, the BOINC client is 6.10.45.  The subproject is PSP LLR v5.11.

Best wishes.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on April 28, 2010, 10:46:06 PM
I have a loooong (CPU) PrimeGrid task in progress--currently 44:11:33@64.140% complete, on a fast machine.  When it is Running, BT shows a correct ET & CPU time, Progress % and Time Left all consistent with BOINCMgr and the boinc_task_state.xml from the task slot.  However when the task is Waiting or Suspended, BT reverts the Elapsed Time to 05:30:53, and it stays there until the next Run cycle.  Weird, yes ???  Which raises the question(s): where does BT store the Elapsed Time of a task in Status "Waiting to run," and why would it get stuck on an old ET from several days ago?  Both the Progress % and the Time Left continue to display correctly when the task is Waiting.  CPU % while running looks good, so I don't think the task data files are funky.  I've run the same subproject before on the same machine, so the .exe & the wrapper app are probably OK too.

I've only seen this behavior on this one task out of several thousand either completed or in progress since I started using BT.  The problem did not originate with BT 0.52, since the task is a couple of weeks old.  The task in question is on a remote host, in case that matters.  The OS is Vista SP2, the BOINC client is 6.10.45.  The subproject is PSP LLR v5.11.

Best wishes.
The value comes from the BOINC client and is probably reported by the running task. It has nothing to do with 0.52 as this part of the code is real old.
xxxx (yyyy) the xxxx time should be shown on suspended tasks.

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on April 28, 2010, 11:03:13 PM
Quote from: jjwhalen on April 28, 2010, 10:46:06 PM

Best wishes.
The value comes from the BOINC client and is probably reported by the running task. It has nothing to do with 0.52 as this part of the code is real old.
xxxx (yyyy) the xxxx time should be shown on suspended tasks.

It's true :'(  The client_state.xml contains a section:
Quote<result>
  <name>psp_llr_47640340_8</name>
  <final_cpu_time>18901.533600</final_cpu_time>
  <final_elapsed_time>19853.326000</final_elapsed_time>
  <exit_status>0</exit_status>
  <state>2</state>
  <platform>windows_intelx86</platform>
  <version_num>511</version_num>
  <suspended_via_gui />
  <wu_name>psp_llr_47640340</wu_name>
  <report_deadline>1273610649.000000</report_deadline>
  <received_time>1271796240.541000</received_time>
  - <file_ref>
  <file_name>psp_llr_47640340_8_0</file_name>
  <open_name>llr.out</open_name>
  </file_ref>
</result>

in which the <final_elapsed_time>19853.326000</final_elapsed_time> value, converted to HH:MM:SS, matches the bogus ET I'm seeing in BT while not Running.  I guess it's possible this section of client_state.xml got orphaned when I updated from 6.10.43 to .45.  It's not affecting how the task is running, since Progress % is advancing and Time Left is decrementing.  BOINCMgr is displaying the "correct" ET while the task is not Running, so it must be reading the value in boinc_task_state.xml, which is incrementing correctly.  I'll try reinstalling the BOINC client to see if that has any effect on ET of this task.

Fascinating ::)