Work limit per project

Started by akbar, December 20, 2012, 01:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akbar

Hi Fred, (I know your name from the paranoid registration process  :o)
I need the possibility to set the work limit per project. The reason is:
I am working on WCG and GPUGRID. My internet is not very stable and it happens that the computer can be without internet for up to a day or two.
GPUGRID is giving bonuses for packets returned within the first 24h.
So if I set the limit too low I risk WCG to be left without work, if I set the limit too high I am loosing the GPUGRID bonus - hence the requirement.
I saw that you have new feature limit per WU not time, but it is per computer an not per project.
I haven't seen such option in the BOINC client so I hope you can make some hack :)

Thanks for the good work. Really amazing program. I think more of the features should be taken by the official client.

P.S Really do you need the same verification in the posts as well!

fred

Quote from: akbar on December 20, 2012, 01:45:01 PM
Hi Fred, (I know your name from the paranoid registration process  :o)
I need the possibility to set the work limit per project. The reason is:
I am working on WCG and GPUGRID. My internet is not very stable and it happens that the computer can be without internet for up to a day or two.
GPUGRID is giving bonuses for packets returned within the first 24h.
So if I set the limit too low I risk WCG to be left without work, if I set the limit too high I am loosing the GPUGRID bonus - hence the requirement.
I saw that you have new feature limit per WU not time, but it is per computer an not per project.
I haven't seen such option in the BOINC client so I hope you can make some hack :)

Thanks for the good work. Really amazing program. I think more of the features should be taken by the official client.

P.S Really do you need the same verification in the posts as well!
Read this: http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=449.0
The rule "Time left project" should be what you need.

akbar

Actually you are right - this is exactly what I need. WOW this app has so much functionality.
Thanks man and keep up the good work.

boroda3

Quote from: fred on December 20, 2012, 10:37:41 PM
I need the possibility to set the work limit per project.

It doesn't work well. The interval between rules checks is too large, the internet connection is fast, therefore too many jobs are loaded before new jobs will be disabled.
Another important buffer size. If buffer is large, then server sends many jobs in one transaction (for example, Einstein@home can send 20-40 WUs at one time) - much more than I need.
To limit work, it is nessesary first change the buffer size and only then allow new jobs, and after reaching the desired number of tasks disable new tasks and restore buffer size back. Rules can't do it.

As result: needs well working tool for limiting work for each proect separatelly.

PS. Complex verification after writing messages is very annoying.

fred

Quote from: boroda3 on June 08, 2013, 04:11:01 PM
Quote from: fred on December 20, 2012, 10:37:41 PM
I need the possibility to set the work limit per project.

It doesn't work well. The interval between rules checks is too large, the internet connection is fast, therefore too many jobs are loaded before new jobs will be disabled.
Another important buffer size. If buffer is large, then server sends many jobs in one transaction (for example, Einstein@home can send 20-40 WUs at one time) - much more than I need.
To limit work, it is nessesary first change the buffer size and only then allow new jobs, and after reaching the desired number of tasks disable new tasks and restore buffer size back. Rules can't do it.

As result: needs well working tool for limiting work for each proect separatelly.

PS. Complex verification after writing messages is very annoying.
There isn't much you can do about that, except put in a request at the Project forum.
The Wu's come in all at the same time, nothing to stop them.

This may help for projects you run as backup.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Preferences Resource share.

For first time users it's a bit of a hassle to sign on. You have the thank the spammers, before I had hundreds a day. So this a necessity for the evil guys out there.
But this should be easier after your first post.