Wish List Items - 'Wanted WU' per Project and 'Set Task to 'Waiting to Run'

Started by tlsi2000, July 25, 2010, 07:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlsi2000

Wish List Items

Item - *Wanted WU* Constraint for Per Project
Would it be possible to extend the *Wanted WU* concept that is currently *per computer* to have a constraint *per project* ?

Reason -  The Hydrogen@Home project generally allows only 9+ hours for a 4+ hours run.  But this means that I can only really have at most two at a time (per processor), and since it does a check *very* often, sometimes it over provides more than can possible be performed in the allowed timeframe.  Having a maximum count would help with this problem.

----

Item - Set Task to be *Waiting To Run*
Would it be possible to add the ability to set a task into the *Waiting To Run* state (without actually starting it) ?

Reason -  Sometimes is is nice to clear out odd tasks that need to be processed before the others currently in the *Ready To Start* status.  I like to do this to clear out short-processes, or ones that are 'older' (SETI-dated).  Currently, I do this my suspending all the others, then suspending a running task (hence, starting the one that I want to start), and them resetting all of them back to un-suspended, then doing fix-ups on those that should be running, etc.  It is a painful process that could be eliminated by being able to set a task higher up in the queue by setting it to the *Waiting To Run* state.

---

OCD lives.

fred

Quote from: tlsi2000 on July 25, 2010, 07:43:02 PM
Wish List Items

1)
Item - *Wanted WU* Constraint for Per Project
Would it be possible to extend the *Wanted WU* concept that is currently *per computer* to have a constraint *per project* ?

Reason -  The Hydrogen@Home project generally allows only 9+ hours for a 4+ hours run.  But this means that I can only really have at most two at a time (per processor), and since it does a check *very* often, sometimes it over provides more than can possible be performed in the allowed timeframe.  Having a maximum count would help with this problem.

----
2)
Would it be possible to add the ability to set a task into the *Waiting To Run* state (without actually starting it) ?

Reason -  Sometimes is is nice to clear out odd tasks that need to be processed before the others currently in the *Ready To Start* status.  I like to do this to clear out short-processes, or ones that are 'older' (SETI-dated).  Currently, I do this my suspending all the others, then suspending a running task (hence, starting the one that I want to start), and them resetting all of them back to un-suspended, then doing fix-ups on those that should be running, etc.  It is a painful process that could be eliminated by being able to set a task higher up in the queue by setting it to the *Waiting To Run* state.

---

OCD lives.

1) I don't see how this could be done.
2) Don't think that's possible.

Pepo

Quote from: fred on July 26, 2010, 07:44:36 AM
2)

Yet another thing that would have to be implemented in the BOINC client.

See my ancient proposals on BOINC_dev mailing list and before on BOINC dev message boards.
Peter

John McLeod VII

Quote from: Pepo on July 27, 2010, 08:47:14 AM
Quote from: fred on July 26, 2010, 07:44:36 AM
2)

Yet another thing that would have to be implemented in the BOINC client.

See my ancient proposals on BOINC_dev mailing list and before on BOINC dev message boards.
Attempting to force BOINC to run a particular task now is usually, although not quite always, a bad idea.  The only time that I have seen this to be needed is with new projects that have the fpops_est wrong.  On the second+ computers to start work, I will force it by suspending everything else for a while.  I think this points out the need for a different twist in the BOINC CPU scheduler.  The twist I would like to see added to the BOINC scheduler is to run the first task from a new project at medium priority.