Large Numbers Display

Started by tlsi2000, July 30, 2010, 09:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlsi2000

Large Numbers Display

For those of us who are having trouble reading all of those numbers that run together...

Could we [please] add commas (or locale-based version) for those that are over 1000 ?

I know this occurs in the credits and averages.  There may be other places.

Thanks.

jjwhalen

Quote from: tlsi2000 on July 30, 2010, 09:38:10 PM
Large Numbers Display

For those of us who are having trouble reading all of those numbers that run together...

Could we [please] add commas (or locale-based version) for those that are over 1000 ?

I know this occurs in the credits and averages.  There may be other places.

Thanks.

I think this is a good idea as a wishlist item, if it doesn't involve too much programming.  As a North American I don't want to come across as a "format-Imperialist."  But that "locale-based version" thing sounds like a potential minefield, considering how many different combinations of digit-grouping & decimal symbols there are in international usage.  The list in Windows' Regional and Language Options control panel is pretty intimidating :o  I notice that BOINCManager hasn't taken this one on yet either ;)

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on July 31, 2010, 09:22:36 AM
I think this is a good idea as a wishlist item, if it doesn't involve too much programming.  As a North American I don't want to come across as a "format-Imperialist."  But that "locale-based version" thing sounds like a potential minefield, considering how many different combinations of digit-grouping & decimal symbols there are in international usage.  The list in Windows' Regional and Language Options control panel is pretty intimidating :o  I notice that BOINCManager hasn't taken this one on yet either ;)
I spend more than a couple of months a year over there, so I get a bit used to it.
And indeed there are a lot of local differences around the world.
But I done the dates and could do the numbers, grouping them with a . or ,

jjwhalen

Quote from: fred on August 01, 2010, 07:32:56 PM
Quote from: jjwhalen on July 31, 2010, 09:22:36 AM
I spend more than a couple of months a year over there, so I get a bit used to it.

Still, I think my favorite format is 123'456'789.00 (Switzerland).  I wish I'd thought that one up myself  8)

Pepo

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 01, 2010, 09:19:27 PM
Still, I think my favorite format is 123'456'789.00 (Switzerland).  I wish I'd thought that one up myself  8)
Then it's the the highest time to throw in my preferred grouping with ' ' (a space)?
Peter

jjwhalen

Quote from: Pepo on August 02, 2010, 08:33:09 PM
Quote from: jjwhalen on August 01, 2010, 09:19:27 PM
Then it's the the highest time to throw in my preferred grouping with ' ' (a space)?

Yup, I believe quite a few countries use a space for 103 groups, with "," as the decimal point.  I could live with that.

fred

Quote from: jjwhalen on August 02, 2010, 09:16:19 PM
Yup, I believe quite a few countries use a space for 103 groups, with "," as the decimal point.  I could live with that.
The next version you get it all. ;D

tlsi2000

from the one who started all this:

THANKS !