No Tasks show on Tasks Tab

Started by Fred E., April 27, 2014, 06:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred E.

I Just did a clean install of Win 8.1 and had to reinstall my Apps.  With version 1.58, I see everything I want on all tabs except the Tasks tab.  I've set the columns I want, and they show but no tasks show.  When I first installed it they were okay, but they went away while I was working through all the settings to get it set up the way I wanted.  I uninstalled and reinstalled but no change.  The gadget show the running tasks. I have only one computer.  I've tried synchronize.

idahofisherman

Go to extra tab and make sure that it shows CPU tasks is checked.  Also make sure that show GPU tasks is checked as well as non CPU intensive is checked.

Fred E.

The Show Cpu, Gpu, and NCI are all checked. 

Fred E.

Now this is interesting.  I tried turning the "Show CPU/GPU/NCI tasks" off and back on.  No tasks show when all 3 are checked, but the CPU  and GPU tasks show when I turn off Show CPU  but leave GPU checked.  ( I don't have any NCI tasks on hand so don't know what happens there.)  If I check CPU but not GPU the GPU tasks show but not the CPU  tasks...... 

So I can get by but I'm puzzled.

fred

fred

Quote from: Fred E. on April 28, 2014, 03:17:37 AM
Now this is interesting.  I tried turning the "Show CPU/GPU/NCI tasks" off and back on.  No tasks show when all 3 are checked, but the CPU  and GPU tasks show when I turn off Show CPU  but leave GPU checked.  ( I don't have any NCI tasks on hand so don't know what happens there.)  If I check CPU but not GPU the GPU tasks show but not the CPU  tasks...... 

So I can get by but I'm puzzled.
Detection comes from the resource (use) column. GPU tasks should show NV or ATI.
1) What project(s) are you running?
2) What's in the Use column?
3) 32 or 64 bit system?

Fred E.

1) I am currently attached to SETI and just added WUPROP to check the NCI tasks, and it shows okay with the "'show NCI tasks" checked.  I can add other projects if you want me to test them.  By the way, WUPROP is not on the list to add a project in BM or BOINC Manager, so I used the URL method.

2) The Use column is blank for CPU in BT 1.58 and also in BOINC Manager for version 7.2.42 (x64). Both BM and BT show the correct usage for GPU and NCI including the NVidia info.

3) 64 Bit Windows 8.1.

So it sounds like the problem is with this version of BOINC Manager.  Want me to revert to an earlier version to test?

fred

Quote from: Fred E. on April 29, 2014, 11:12:43 AM
So it sounds like the problem is with this version of BOINC Manager.  Want me to revert to an earlier version to test?
7.2.42 probably.

That's exactly what I'm using right now. Same Windows version same project and NV card.
For now I have no idea, made some changes in 1.59.

Fred E.

Quote from: fred on April 29, 2014, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: Fred E. on April 29, 2014, 11:12:43 AM
7.2.42 probably.

That's exactly what I'm using right now. Same Windows version same project and NV card.
For now I have no idea, made some changes in 1.59.

Yes, it should have said 7.2.42 - sorry.  I'll edit it to fix it for benefit of others. Does your 7.2.42 show CPU usage?  As I said earlier, I'm getting by okay now so no rush for me.

fred

Quote from: Fred E. on April 29, 2014, 01:38:48 PM
Yes, it should have said 7.2.42 - sorry.  I'll edit it to fix it for benefit of others. Does your 7.2.42 show CPU usage?  As I said earlier, I'm getting by okay now so no rush for me.
Lets see how it goes with 1.59

Fred E.

Installed 1.59 and there's no change - still have to remove the check mark from "Show CPU tasks" to see all my tasks. I'm getting along okay so it is just a mystery.

fred

Quote from: Fred E. on May 14, 2014, 04:39:34 PM
Installed 1.59 and there's no change - still have to remove the check mark from "Show CPU tasks" to see all my tasks. I'm getting along okay so it is just a mystery.
But... this may be something more serious.
I will add some debugging in 1.61, we will get to the bottom.

HighTech67

Fred,

I love BoincTasks. I don't know what I would do without it. The Suspend at Checkpoint in 1.64 is great!

I'm running BT 1.64 on Win 7 64-bit with BOINC 7.2.42 (x64) and I still have this same problem. With Show CPU tasks checked under the Extra menu, I cannot see any CPU tasks in the Tasks tab. I believe it works just the opposite for GPU tasks, I have to have Show CPU tasks checked but not Show GPU tasks to see any GPU tasks in the Tasks tab.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with the same version. I have tried uninstalling before installing the new version. I have tried uninstalling the Beta version I was running and installing the same number version once it became the stable version. I have upgraded my NVIDIA driver. None of these have made a difference.

I do not remember exactly when this started.

The only thing I have not done is uninstall and search the registry for all references to BoincTasks or eFMer and remove those before installing. If you think that would help, I could try that but would rather save that as a last option.

I update to the latest Beta when it is released.

Is there any other fix to this problem?

John T

fred

Quote from: HighTech67 on September 13, 2014, 09:58:11 AM
Is there any other fix to this problem?
Is there any specific project that causes this?

Do some testing for me. Use 1.64 on the machine.

Go to Show->Log Check "Enable debug logging"
Click on the "Debug setup" button and check "Tasks Show CPU/GPU".

Exit BoincTasks and restart it.
Open the Tasks tab and let it sit there for at least 5 minutes.

Go to Show->Log and copy the log and send it to me. E-Mail in the about box.
Give me some screenshots of the tasks that cause problems, sometimes seeing the problem is everything.

Let's see if we can resolve this, because right now I don't have any clue what it's causing it.

HighTech67

This happens with all of the projects I run. I am not currently running any GPU tasks, but I took some screen shots showing the Extra menu and the selections on it for you as well as copying the log after letting BoincTasks run for over 10 minutes. I zipped all that up and emailed it to you as requested. It will come from the email I registered on this site with.

I hope this helps.