alternative gadget: just show how busy (or idle) the systems are

Started by JStateson, May 01, 2010, 03:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

There are too many items in my gadget for it to be useful. For anyone running a boinc farm, IMHO, one would like to know if all the cpu's and gpu's are busy at a glance and the amount of the backlog (ready tasks).  The number of gpu's and cpu's would have to be obtained when BoincTasks starts up (and updated if a system reboots).  CPU tasks and GPU tasks would just be summed up over active tasks.  The gadget would show something like the following

System  | CPUs/Used  | GPUs/Used |
           |     /Ready   |     /Ready  |
-------- |------------|------------|
jys2x275      4/4/16           2/2/24
linux_i7        8/7/40           1/1/12

..etc..

For the 2nd line item above one cpu is not being used but there is sufficient backlog.   This would be colored yellow since a project like aqua might not start unless all the cpus were available to use.  if the backlog was under 8 then that line would be colored red since there was insufficient work for the system.

anyway, that is my wish.

[EDIT]
ok - i just discovered that if I set the time to display the gadget to 0 then I get to see the number of running tasks.  However, only about 1/2 the systems are displayed as shown below.

While the above image shows "jstateson2quad, Running:2" there are actually 5 resources being used.  One gpu (one task) and 4 cpus running aqua (1 task but 4 threads)

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on May 01, 2010, 03:30:49 AM
There are too many items in my gadget for it to be useful. For anyone running a boinc farm, IMHO, one would like to know if all the cpu's and gpu's are busy at a glance and the amount of the backlog (ready tasks).  The number of gpu's and cpu's would have to be obtained when BoincTasks starts up (and updated if a system reboots).  CPU tasks and GPU tasks would just be summed up over active tasks.  The gadget would show something like the following

System  | CPUs/Used  | GPUs/Used |
           |     /Ready   |     /Ready  |
-------- |------------|------------|
jys2x275      4/4/16           2/2/24
linux_i7        8/7/40           1/1/12

..etc..

For the 2nd line item above one cpu is not being used but there is sufficient backlog.   This would be colored yellow since a project like aqua might not start unless all the cpus were available to use.  if the backlog was under 8 then that line would be colored red since there was insufficient work for the system.

anyway, that is my wish.

[EDIT]
ok - i just discovered that if I set the time to display the gadget to 0 then I get to see the number of running tasks.  However, only about 1/2 the systems are displayed as shown below.

While the above image shows "jstateson2quad, Running:2" there are actually 5 resources being used.  One gpu (one task) and 4 cpus running aqua (1 task but 4 threads)

I put it in the todo list, lets see what I can do.
The tooltip can't show more than 128 char or so.

fred