Cannot add new computer

Started by JeromeC, May 15, 2013, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeromeC

Hi

I installed BT 1.46 on a Win 2012 server, when I go to Computer menu all options are greyed out, I cannot do Add new computer... any idea ?

Note : I don't have boinc installed on the server and I won't, I just want BT remote access to other boinc instances thru the web.

Thanks

fred

Quote from: JeromeC on May 15, 2013, 09:19:13 PM
Hi

I installed BT 1.46 on a Win 2012 server, when I go to Computer menu all options are greyed out, I cannot do Add new computer... any idea ?

Note : I don't have boinc installed on the server and I won't, I just want BT remote access to other boinc instances thru the web.

Thanks
Click on the Computers tab first.
Menu: Computer->Add Computer.

JeromeC

This is what I did, I'm in the computer tab, I've tried with cursor on top of the computer list, or on the (only) local computer name, all 3 options in the computer menu are grayed out anyway, I cannot add or do anything else.

I wonder what is the impact of not having boinc installed at all in that VM, and how BT did found a "local computer name", it's just take the system name ?

fred

Quote from: JeromeC on May 16, 2013, 12:33:16 PM
This is what I did, I'm in the computer tab, I've tried with cursor on top of the computer list, or on the (only) local computer name, all 3 options in the computer menu are grayed out anyway, I cannot add or do anything else.

I wonder what is the impact of not having boinc installed at all in that VM, and how BT did found a "local computer name", it's just take the system name ?
BoincTasks uses the domain name as Computer name for the localhost.

Strange as soon as you select the first tab, Computer->Add computer in the Menu should be enabled.

In this folder: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks

Should be a file called computers.xml.
Otherwise exit BoincTasks and make the computes.xml file and add the following:

<computers>
<computer>
<id>0</id>
<id_name>Boinc</id_name>
<id_group></id_group>
<ip>192.168.10.10</ip>
<checked>1</checked>
<port>-1</port>
<password>passwordname</password>
<encryption>no</encryption>
</computer>
</computers>

Only the password name , <ip> and <id_name> should be changed

If there is a localhost just add a <computer></computers> block.

JeromeC

I have stopped / restarted BT but same behaviour.

I have this file and the content is :

<computers>
<computer>
<id>0</id>
<id_name>AMAZONA-IVVBF1G</id_name>
<id_group></id_group>
<ip>localhost</ip>
<checked>1</checked>
<port>-1</port>
<password></password>
</computer>
<computer>
<id>0</id>
<id_name>new</id_name>
<id_group></id_group>
<ip></ip>
<checked>0</checked>
<port>-1</port>
<password></password>
</computer>
</computers>

Why do I have two "0" computers ? (the second being "new" and I don't see that in the computer list)

Can I try to edit this one and replace the 0 by 1 and try to put the details of the distant machine I want to access ? (can IP be a url "domain.url.org" or something like that or it has to be a 1.2.3.4 v4 IP ?) that is replacing this "new" computer, or I should try to add a separate "1" computer ?

fred

Quote from: JeromeC on May 16, 2013, 06:16:27 PM

Why do I have two "0" computers ? (the second being "new" and I don't see that in the computer list)

Can I try to edit this one and replace the 0 by 1 and try to put the details of the distant machine I want to access ? (can IP be a url "domain.url.org" or something like that or it has to be a 1.2.3.4 v4 IP ?) that is replacing this "new" computer, or I should try to add a separate "1" computer ?
OK what you need to do is set the check to activate the computer. That's why you don't see the new computer in the list.
You can edit the fields you want the update in BoincTasks. Click on another tab e.g. Task to let the changes take effect.

I don't think ID is active at the moment, any value should do.

What name in the IP is valid depends on Windows. If Windows can get an IP from the domain name it should work.
Nothing beats trying.

If something like Ping domain name works it should work in BoincTasks as well.

JeromeC

Just for info it finally worked, ie I didn't do any more changes to the file since last time and then I gave it another try and then I could select the tab and the buttons weren't grey anymore and I could add my external computer and it worked.

Thanks for the help.