Boinctasks on Linux

Started by paul, June 25, 2011, 02:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Using Ubuntu 11.4 with Nvidia 580 gpu's. 'Find computers' only logged the local computer. Added the rest (Linux and Windows) manually. The temperature graphic did not display until I upgraded Tthrottle to 4.20. No other problems found   :-*
Just a pity that Tthrottle doesn't work on Linux  :'(

fred

SekeRob2 comment: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=4347

Just to say that BT on Ubuntu 11.10 (Ocelot) shows to work awesomely and can now (I could not before on previous Ubuntu's) be expanded to the full width of the screen.

What I did after installing this clean implementation with OpenGL and full bells GUI 3.2 Gnome:

1. Installed Wine 1.3+Winetricks from the Software centre which is better than Synaptic since the USC will include any pieces it needs in addition.
2. Downloaded v1.24 of BT
3. Opened Nautilus (with sudo to be sure all admin rights applied)
4. looked up the installer, right clicked for pop up menu and picked the winetricks option.
5. Let the installer run and when it asked at the end if a Windows, said no, if Linux said yes and when asked to create a desktop Icon it did (enabled in Gnome/Unity).

Launched and instantly got a running BT without to oldies known Windows 3.0 experience of a window in a window, basically now showing as a native app. It even shows an systray icon on the panel bar and BT being allowed for the window to be closed, continuing to run. The systray icon giving some controls including snooze and open and when mouse hovering presenting the gadget pop-up with all running tasks.

What I had to do for the remote devices was to explicitly enter port 31416 in the computers tab for each. UFW was set open for that port, but somehow that was not enough.

In short, with Linux have a fine fine running BT, no different in the way it shows on Windows, and this version of Wine (1.3) it runs in using very little CPU time.

Pepo

That's rather a very pleasant verbose news!
When I'll again have some Linux, I'll sure give BT a try there.
Peter

Keith Myers

Have BT installed in Ubuntu 18.04.  Program up and running and all hosts connected.  But no projects, task, messages or history in the window for any host. Status bar says updating every two seconds as usual. 0 tasks. :'(

fred

Quote from: Keith Myers on August 15, 2018, 03:14:39 AM
Have BT installed in Ubuntu 18.04.  Program up and running and all hosts connected.  But no projects, task, messages or history in the window for any host. Status bar says updating every two seconds as usual. 0 tasks. :'(
In the Computers tab do the host show as connected?
Does the Message tab show anything and if it does, any errors.