News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Known Issues

Started by fred, November 06, 2020, 04:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

BOINC for BoincTasks V 2.0 (10)
Wait before forcing to stop BOINC client
Renaming the computer, see this thread.

cristipurdel

I am seeing a big delay, maybe around 5-10s when running on Android 9.
This disappears when boinc is not running at all.

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 21, 2020, 08:24:57 AM
I am seeing a big delay, maybe around 5-10s when running on Android 9.
Because the BOINC Client fails to start.

cristipurdel

Based on 3h+ of testing I found the following below.

Things to add/fix:
- On a mobile phone (w root), the system could not detect the apk and was getting the parse error when trying to install. This is weird since boinc was already running.
- On another mobile phone (w root), apparently everything is working, except that it is running on 4 and not 8 cores. as of v1.4, there is no possibility to change the nr. of cores. Now I see that the phone screen is turned off and user is active and not running. O would be better to add CPU limit % or smth like user active after 3 min
- Please add name for device, bam shows the name as "gui_rpc_unix_domain"
- Please add also battery % and temperature in BT since they are also available in v1.4
- I would add a fail-proof check that the add current WiFi address suggestion is found in one of the 4 IP address  and raise an debug warning if not
- I would add a fail-proof check that each of the external IP address are in the same group as any of the 4 IP WiFi address and raise an debug warning if not

General issues:
- The v1.4 is useful for intermediate debugging purposes, but not in the long term. I still cannot understand how nativeBOINC over 5 years ago managed to work with BT out of the box, but today I would need to install a variation of BOINC to have the desired features enabled.
- My feeling is that either you could do a separate app to provide the remote functionality as a standalone app (not open source) or adding those features in the default BOINC app in a hidden menu smth like "Show BT advanced preferences and control" (open source). Having a standalone app is, for me not desirable, and testing/fixing all of the issues which the default boinc app has is going to take a lot of time and currently I do not plan to change 20+ devices for this

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 22, 2020, 07:24:10 AM
Thanks for all the input they sure are helpful.

I changed the domain name to show the hardware
Connect to BoincTasks and change the number of cores that are allowed to run and things like user active.

For local control I do have an upcoming BoincTask for Android.

cristipurdel

I like the idea of having a separate local control for just the barely minimum.
An additional alternative BOINC would also be nice to implement some features which are not so fast to implement in the default BOINC, thinking of GPU android computing :)
Any e.t.a. on the separate local control? I would more easily test this

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 22, 2020, 07:43:03 PM
Local I'm done now adding remote computers.
It's a lot of work, building a simpler BoincTasks from the ground up.
I hope by the end of year, this time I want a more complete and tested app before release. This one goes into the Google Play Store

cristipurdel

You could still release it earlier and use the beta testing option.
While on google play and updating itself I do not mind testing it on multiple devices

cristipurdel

Quote from: fred on November 23, 2020, 08:10:18 AM
Quote from: cristipurdel on November 22, 2020, 07:43:03 PM
Local I'm done now adding remote computers.
It's a lot of work, building a simpler BoincTasks from the ground up.
I hope by the end of year, this time I want a more complete and tested app before release. This one goes into the Google Play Store
Any progress on BoincTasks for Android?
Even some sort of alpha status would be nice to test.

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on December 03, 2020, 07:03:36 AM
Any progress on BoincTasks for Android?
Even some sort of alpha status would be nice to test.
I'm getting closer, but it's an incredible amount of work.
Right now I'm removing all the bugs.
.. First impression is everything

Richard Haselgrove

Could I check what the Beta status is, please?

Just had a big Android update, so I thought I'd look again. I see v1.9 described on the download information page, but the download link still points to v1.8 - and v1.9 can't even be found by editing the link.

Otherwise, it's still running fine.

fred

Quote from: Richard Haselgrove on December 09, 2020, 10:48:41 AM
Could I check what the Beta status is, please?

Just had a big Android update, so I thought I'd look again. I see v1.9 described on the download information page, but the download link still points to v1.8 - and v1.9 can't even be found by editing the link.
Running into some problems, but I'm getting close, testing every change takes at least a day, but we are getting there.
So maybe tomorrow.

Richard Haselgrove

fred

And there is 1.9.
It runs an older client by default, seems to be more stable and uses less resources.
The manual explains the new settings.

And... there is BoincTasks, available from the play store

hucker

Quote from: fred on November 22, 2020, 08:46:31 AM
Quote from: cristipurdel on November 22, 2020, 07:24:10 AM
Thanks for all the input they sure are helpful.

I changed the domain name to show the hardware
Connect to BoincTasks and change the number of cores that are allowed to run and things like user active.

For local control I do have an upcoming BoincTask for Android.
Is there any way to name a phone?  My Windows PCs are called by the Windows network name when I view them on a project, but my phone is mt6735 - not very human friendly.  Can I change this in the system somewhere, or can Boinc for Boinctasks name itself?  In Berkeley Boinc for Android, you could specify the name.