Auto detect of High usage processes?

Started by benDan, March 06, 2009, 05:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benDan

There is a new SETI module [ astropulse_5.03_windows_intelx86.exe ] but TThrottle did not have it in the BOINC list.
Temps went wild because no action was taken. Would it be possible to throttle any process that has high usage if the temp goes into a "high risk" zone? This would be a last attempt before shutdown.
I have TThrottle set to start taking action at 55.
I have SpeedFan set to shut down (actually hibernate) at core temp 68.
TThrottle works fine for expected tasks but updates occur and process names change.
I believe the requested feature would be very valuable for many users.

Thanks
--
Dan benDan

fred

TThrottle should detect a new task such as astropulse.
In the BOINC tab click "Show All" and astropulse_5.03_windows_intelx86.exe should be there.
But the checking is probably done only at startup.
I will see if I can improve this detection.

benDan

Actually I was only using the astropulse task as an example of a larger problem. I run BOINC in the background 24/7 and virus scans, disk defrags, internet explorer, and other tasks can push the temp accross the line even if boink programs are throttled back.
What I was asking for was a way to cut back on ANY high usage process if the temp got into the danger zone. This would be valuable for more than BOINC users.
--
Dan benDan

fred

I will see if that is possible, will put it on my to do list.

Fred

Soulmech

Quote from: benDan on March 09, 2009, 04:21:40 PM
Actually I was only using the astropulse task as an example of a larger problem. I run BOINC in the background 24/7 and virus scans, disk defrags, internet explorer, and other tasks can push the temp accross the line even if boink programs are throttled back.
What I was asking for was a way to cut back on ANY high usage process if the temp got into the danger zone. This would be valuable for more than BOINC users.
I think this would be a great feature, as it would help me out as well.

If this is done though, it would be a good idea to add a "whitelist" for processes such as media players or web browsers that you want to exclude from the auto-detection feature.

fred

Quote from: Soulmech on May 30, 2009, 05:41:08 AM
Quote from: benDan on March 09, 2009, 04:21:40 PM
I think this would be a great feature, as it would help me out as well.

If this is done though, it would be a good idea to add a "whitelist" for processes such as media players or web browsers that you want to exclude from the auto-detection feature.

The first item is on the todo list and I will check that when I have the time.
The second item is on the list now

Christoph

Item no two I would also find usefull, it would be unnecessary to stop BOINC and TThrottle before starting a game.

Christoph

fred

Quote from: Christoph on July 14, 2009, 11:12:27 AM
Item no two I would also find usefull, it would be unnecessary to stop BOINC and TThrottle before starting a game.

Christoph
It is possible to auto suspend BOINC when you start a game, that would solve your problems.