GPU use amount of Compute Units

Started by cristipurdel, November 24, 2012, 02:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cristipurdel

Is it possible to have an option like:
On GPUs, use at most x% of N ComputeUnits. So that the first (1-x)*N CU are not used by BOINC. Maybe this could help decrease the screen lag for projects which need to modify their application to avoid this issue.

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 24, 2012, 02:59:05 PM
Is it possible to have an option like:
On GPUs, use at most x% of N ComputeUnits. So that the first (1-x)*N CU are not used by BOINC. Maybe this could help decrease the screen lag for projects which need to modify their application to avoid this issue.
I'm not sure what you mean. There isn't a BOINC option. Only the option use one of use all, this one is intended for this purpose.

cristipurdel

I now that there is no boinc option, but I was thinking that you might find a workaround :)
My 6490M has 2 CU. What I would like to have do is allocate the first CU to the OS, and the others CUs for BOINC(in my case the 2nd CU).

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 25, 2012, 02:26:45 PM
I now that there is no boinc option, but I was thinking that you might find a workaround :)
My 6490M has 2 CU. What I would like to have do is allocate the first CU to the OS, and the others CUs for BOINC(in my case the 2nd CU).
The other way around, use the first one is a BOINC feature.         <use_all_gpus>0</use_all_gpus>

And if you use BOINC 7.0.30 and up you can set individual GPU temps in TThrottle
http://www.efmer.eu/forum_tt/index.php?topic=720.0

cristipurdel

I do not have 2 video cards inside my laptop, I have just 2 Compute Units :).
I was thinking if it was possible to "assign" the CUs within a gpu card.
I think I will have to wait also for this option maybe a few more years :P.

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on November 25, 2012, 03:12:37 PM
I do not have 2 video cards inside my laptop, I have just 2 Compute Units :).
I was thinking if it was possible to "assign" the CUs within a gpu card.
I think I will have to wait also for this option maybe a few more years :P.
You can start the BOINC client twice and assign a different project in each.
Is the same as count 0.5. :-X