BT 1.44

Started by Tom_unoduetre, December 13, 2012, 05:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_unoduetre

Hi,

I´m actually not sure if my issue is related to BT 1.44 but since some time now I have issues when I want to shut down my Windows 64 OS. I get a message that BT prohibites the correct shutdown, so I close that message window and then shut down again and then the PC shuts down.

I have tried different options, like stopping the tasks before shutting down, switching projects etc. but it is the same every time.

Never had this behaviour before with a BT version so I assume it is related to 1.44

Many thanks

fred

Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on December 13, 2012, 05:03:45 PM
Hi,

I´m actually not sure if my issue is related to BT 1.44 but since some time now I have issues when I want to shut down my Windows 64 OS. I get a message that BT prohibites the correct shutdown, so I close that message window and then shut down again and then the PC shuts down.

I have tried different options, like stopping the tasks before shutting down, switching projects etc. but it is the same every time.

Never had this behaviour before with a BT version so I assume it is related to 1.44

Many thanks
If you have BoincTasks Mobile enabled (extra->BoincTasks settings->Mobile.)
Remove the check at enable.
The delay should be gone.
There isn't really a problem, it just takes some time (30 seconds) to shut down.
1.45 should solve this problem.

Tom_unoduetre

Ah ok, I should have checked the changelog for 1.45 first, sorry for that.

Thanks

Tom_unoduetre

I just checked my Mobile option but it is already disabled. I don´t know what could cause the issue.

fred

Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on December 14, 2012, 05:33:44 PM
I just checked my Mobile option but it is already disabled. I don´t know what could cause the issue.
There are so many thing that effects shutdown.
But let BoincTasks close and see how long it actually takes.
Check the BoincTasks log in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\log

JStateson

Unaccountably, the gadget is popping up unexpectedly.  This usually happens shortly after booting the system up and is NOT associated with the mouse cursor moving over the icon.  It happens 3 or 4 times and then it rarely occurs again unless I do move the mouse over the icon.

I have a 2 monitor system.  I can be working in the 2nd monitor browsing with chrome or IE and suddenly, the gadget pops up in the primary monitor.  I think this started with beta 1.43 as I don't remember seeing this before.  I have malwarebytes pro and m$oft's security essentials.   I do not see how to debug this and it is a nuisance.  For example, while writing this, I brought up IE, dragged it into the primary monitor and the instant I released the mouse from the "drag"  the gadget popped up near where the mouse was released.  However, I cannot repeat the problem as it wont happen the 2nd time I do it.

Thanks for looking.

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on December 18, 2012, 04:16:47 PM
Unaccountably, the gadget is popping up unexpectedly.  This usually happens shortly after booting the system up and is NOT associated with the mouse cursor moving over the icon.  It happens 3 or 4 times and then it rarely occurs again unless I do move the mouse over the icon.

I have a 2 monitor system.  I can be working in the 2nd monitor browsing with chrome or IE and suddenly, the gadget pops up in the primary monitor.  I think this started with beta 1.43 as I don't remember seeing this before.  I have malwarebytes pro and m$oft's security essentials.   I do not see how to debug this and it is a nuisance.  For example, while writing this, I brought up IE, dragged it into the primary monitor and the instant I released the mouse from the "drag"  the gadget popped up near where the mouse was released.  However, I cannot repeat the problem as it wont happen the 2nd time I do it.

Thanks for looking.
I put in the show at start up, on the bug list.
What sort of delay are you using a longer delay should fix it.

Tom_unoduetre

Quote from: fred on December 14, 2012, 05:39:44 PM
Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on December 14, 2012, 05:33:44 PM
There are so many thing that effects shutdown.
But let BoincTasks close and see how long it actually takes.
Check the BoincTasks log in: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\log
Ok, shutdown is delayed by around 15 seconds which is not the end of the world. I cannot find a suspicious entry in the logs. As this behaviour is new in this version I believe it has something to do with 1.44 but it is not a major issue right now. Let´s see if this is the same with 1.45.

Regarding logs, I didn´t find an option to delete log files after x days. Would that be possible or is it already there but I´m blind?

Many thanks

fred

Quote from: Tom_unoduetre on December 26, 2012, 09:35:29 PM
Regarding logs, I didn´t find an option to delete log files after x days. Would that be possible or is it already there but I´m blind?
They are deleted, as are other temp files, see the startup log (BoincTasks Startupx.log) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\log

kmanley57

vwrvfy
I went this morning and tried to add NumberFields@home to a machine and it uses the wrong URL in the project. Or the URL used does not match what is on their page, and it gives a message that I connected with the wrong URL.

But I am sure you have fixed this in the next release.

fred

Quote from: kmanley57 on December 31, 2012, 02:42:18 PM
vwrvfy
I went this morning and tried to add NumberFields@home to a machine and it uses the wrong URL in the project. Or the URL used does not match what is on their page, and it gives a message that I connected with the wrong URL.

But I am sure you have fixed this in the next release.
The project list is not of my making, it is a general BOINC list.

JStateson

observation on shutdown:  I have problems on shutdown but they are related to network problems.  On one system that has both WIFI and hardwired ethernet, I had to disable the WIFI to force the system to use the hardwired ethernet.  This solved the a shutdown or BT "closings" as the WIFI connection was poor where I had the system placed.  I thought win7 would automatically use the hardwired connection but it seems not.

I also have occasional problems with my powerline ethernet adapter.  It does not have much bandwidth and on rare occasions BT takes a long time to finish a scan.

JStateson

I am confused about how the edit cc_config works.  I have been using it recently (BT 1.40) and it seemed to be working but when I added (just yesterday) some project related directives they were not passed on to the project.

I added the following to one of my systems using the edit cc_config feature

<exclusive_app>DVDFab.exe</exclusive_app>
<exclude_gpu>
<url>http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/</url>
<device_num>1</device_num>
<app>poemcl</app>
</exclude_gpu>

What happened was the DVDFab exclusion showed up but the POEM related project stuff didnt.  Also, the entire set of XML directives, I guess those "default" ones, then showed up on my system including the one I didn't want that disables remote RPC calls.   When I issued the "read config" (actually it was read automatically) command BT stopped reporting results and I put a monitor on the system to discover the problem.

Observation:  If I create (using text editor at the system) a really simple cc_config file that has exactly what I need such or even an empty one such as

<cc_config>
    <log_flags>
    </log_flags>
    <options>
    </options>
</cc_config>

When I call up that system and "Edit config" using BT, that simple cc_config gets replaced by the huge default one shown in the BT edit config (V7) dialog box.  If I replace the entire contents of that BT edit config dialog box with the empty one shown above, it is ignored and the huge default one is left on the disk drive.  I did not put a port sniffer on to see exactly what is going on (yes, it is easier to just ask).

1.  Is this behavior by design?  ie: BOINC or BT

2. Is BOINC supplying the default cc_config when the RPC message to get the config file is received?

3.  Are you sending the project related parameters such as <exclude_gpu> , etc?  If so, they are not showing up on the target system.

4.  Replacing 1.40 with 1.44 I see a syntax error for <vbox_windows> that was not there before.
  I think fixing that is on your wish list as I saw that somewhere.  I also have 7.0.28 which may
  not support vbox_window (??) as I see it listed as a bad tag in events.
  However, project specific stuff is not being sent (or does not show up) with 1.44 either.

5. Clicking "apply" on the edit config dialog box also causes BOINC to read cc_config.  I assume this is boinc doing the reading w/o being told explicitly to do so.

fred

1) Editing the config will write the entire contents to disk. Every single possible item.
The <exclude_gpu> shouldn't be used.
Use BOINC settings, tab exclusive applications.
2) From what i can see is that the syntax is incorrect and therefore may create an error in the BOINC client that results in a default setting.
3) Exclude, use the special tab. It excludes an exe not a project.
4) A list or exe is inserted.
5) Apply writes and reads it back, it the result is different there may be a serious syntax error.

JStateson

I do not see a way to exclude the GPU for a specific project in the boinc preferences  For example, at POEM I was told that their project is unable to run on a system with 2 or more video boards of the same manufacturer.  The following post (message 7731) spelled out what I had to add to  the cc_config file in order to use their app on a system with two nvidia boards.

<exclude_gpu>
<url>http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/</url>
<device_num>1</device_num>
<app>poemcl</app>
</exclude_gpu>

The above worked fine as I used notepad to edit cc_config.xml and add those lines in.  BT's edit config did not allow those lines to be added.  Those lines exclude device 1 from running application poemcl on project bonc.fzk.de/poem.  On a system with 3 gtx460's I had to add 1 and 2.  Excluding using the app and project allows the excluded GPUs to continue to be used on milkyway, collatz, etc.

AFAIK this has to go into cc_config.xml although a thread over on boinc indicates that the project admin need to  "rtfm" and fix this problem and not rely on users to manually do a workaround.