Support for the new "app_config"

Started by JStateson, January 19, 2013, 03:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

Actually, I put in a plug for BOINCTASKS and asked that the core client (BOINC) be modified to support updating app_config and app_info xml files as shown here

If they dont implement my suggestion, maybe they will implement a get and set rpc call to allow easy upload/download of app_config and app_info.  At a minimum, the core client rpc call could include the name of the xml file allowing "app_info" to be used instead of "app_config" since they both go into the same project folder.

If they do implement my suggestion then your cc_config tool would allow easy edit of app_config and app_info else you would have to add an "edit app_config" to boinctasks.

Thanks for reading and thank you for your BT program.

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on January 19, 2013, 03:51:54 PM
Actually, I put in a plug for BOINCTASKS and asked that the core client (BOINC) be modified to support updating app_config and app_info xml files as shown here

If they dont implement my suggestion, maybe they will implement a get and set rpc call to allow easy upload/download of app_config and app_info.  At a minimum, the core client rpc call could include the name of the xml file allowing "app_info" to be used instead of "app_config" since they both go into the same project folder.

If they do implement my suggestion then your cc_config tool would allow easy edit of app_config and app_info else you would have to add an "edit app_config" to boinctasks.

Thanks for reading and thank you for your BT program.
I asked David if he could add a rpc for the app config, but it was denied.

Gandalf

Quote from: BeemerBiker on January 19, 2013, 03:51:54 PM... If they do implement my suggestion then your cc_config tool would allow easy edit of app_config and app_info else you would have to add an "edit app_config" to boinctasks...
FYI - The app_config.xml file replaces the app_info.xml file in the new revisions of the Pre-Release versions of BOINCs program.  Whether you use Windows or Linux, app_config.xml can be found or needs to be created in the projects > www.worldcommunitygrid.org folder.  These folders will be inside other folders, but you should only have one combination of such folders on your computer.

Here is an example of the app_config.xml file...

<app_config>
  <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <gpu_versions>
        <max_concurrent>4</max_concurrent>
        <gpu_usage>0.25</gpu_usage>
        <cpu_usage>0.50</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
  </app>
</app_config>

The cc_config.xml file will still be located in the BOINC folder.

A little trick I figured out, because I was always modifying the app_config.xml file, until I found the best configuration for my computer, was to create a Shortcut of the app_config.xml and move the Shortcut to the Desktop.  This provided easy access to the file.  As soon as I was happy with the files' configuration, it was easy to delete the Shortcut link.

I hope this information helps someone.
Linux Mint 14 DE: Cinnamon Operating System

fred