CPU % + GPU %

Started by Gandalf, April 11, 2013, 03:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Quote from: Gandalf on May 09, 2013, 08:22:28 AM
I never said it would be easy.  :-X Determining what Project is using the GPU should go into the equation as to how much of the GPU should be being used.  My problem is, while I can put one of these system monitors on each of my computers, I can't monitor them from one location.  I had one GPU stop crunching and it took me half a day to realize it.  It turned out ok, because apparently Propriety CPU WUs will out rank GPU WUs.  I didn't know that before.  I was running around like the proverbial chicken until I understood what was happening.

BoincTasks has a couple of ways to detect GPU progress.
One of them is the CPU %, that is typically low. You can set an alarm color on a CPU % and a project.
If something happens the progress stops and can be detected by setting a rule, like Progress / min %

cristipurdel

If the GPU% setting is to difficult to implement, would the next possibilities be feasible?

1. Limit the GPU overall frequency to a certain value
           E.g 700Mhz instead of the stock 1000Mhz.
2. Limit the number of Compute Units to be used for the boinc project.
           E.g. Use only the last 4 out of a  total of 16 CU.
3. Combination of 1&2 :)

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on June 23, 2013, 07:46:41 AM
If the GPU% setting is to difficult to implement, would the next possibilities be feasible?

1. Limit the GPU overall frequency to a certain value
           E.g 700Mhz instead of the stock 1000Mhz.
2. Limit the number of Compute Units to be used for the boinc project.
           E.g. Use only the last 4 out of a  total of 16 CU.
3. Combination of 1&2 :)
It's nothing I will implement in BoincTasks.
1) Use a GPU program like MSI Afterburner.
You can use TThrottle to set a maximum run GPU %. It's not really acurate but it may work in your case.
2) Put in a request in the BOINC forum