News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Testing V 6.60

Started by fred, May 18, 2013, 02:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred

Add: Supports multiple BOINC clients on localhost.
Changed: Redesigned program list.
Fixed: Sometimes failed to throttle in driver mode (Vista and up), with more than 10 processes.

coolstream

Hi Fred, I had always considered asking this question in the requests section, but since there has now been a change to the output in the Programs window, my question might be more appropriate here:

Would it be possible to change the size of the TThrottle window? Especially after the change introduced in 6.60, a scrollbar is offered, but the option to resize the window would be appreciated as a cleaner alternative

fred

Quote from: coolstream on May 24, 2013, 09:52:58 AM
Hi Fred, I had always considered asking this question in the requests section, but since there has now been a change to the output in the Programs window, my question might be more appropriate here:

Would it be possible to change the size of the TThrottle window? Especially after the change introduced in 6.60, a scrollbar is offered, but the option to resize the window would be appreciated as a cleaner alternative
It's rather complicated to get the layout right, with the different languages and all.
That will involve a mayor rewrite. But I may do so one day, when I got nothing to do.

coolstream

Hi Fred,

Apologies for returning so late to this question. I had a fall outside and MS seems to complicate even the simplest of problems. As a result, I have been spending less time online. I'm back now and taking shade from the sun for a while hence my tardy reply.
I kind of expected that your not making the window adjustable in size was going to be coding-related. Still, the scrollbar makes it possible to read the information and therefore my 'request' can be filed under 'cosmetic todos' and I will wait patiently.

I'm not sure if I discovered a bug or not so I will keep a close eye on things and report back if the same happens again...

BUG or  COINCEDENTAL GLITCH?
I had to reboot a couple of machines today that were already running 6.60. On restart, TThrottle appeared to have opened a new instance for every CPU thread, e.g. quad core with HT placed 8 TThrottle icons in system tray and hex core with HT opened 12. Putting cursor over the icons made all but one disappear and only one running instance is confirmed in Task Manager.

If this had only happened on one machine, I would probably never have noticed it, but it happening on two made me take more notice. Since I seem to be the only person who has noticed this, I guess it is purely coincedental. I will confirm if I see this happening again.

fred

Quote from: coolstream on June 03, 2013, 05:00:59 PM
If this had only happened on one machine, I would probably never have noticed it, but it happening on two made me take more notice. Since I seem to be the only person who has noticed this, I guess it is purely coincedental. I will confirm if I see this happening again.
No I noticed it.
When a machine is out of work, or the work is suspended, TThrottle crashes and keeps on doing so until BOINC gets work again.
I'm working on a fix right now.
But I'm rewriting the whole language dll's handling.
So it will take me some time to get the new version 7.00 out.
The only thing that might happen is that you run out of disk space, before I sort things out. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\TThrottle\crash

coolstream

OK, thanks for the confirmation. I actually rebooted another machine as a test and found the same thing happening again. The only difference was that the TThrotle icons were fewer than the amount of threads (but still more than one).

I have also noted your warning on the main forum page. Maybe even better to make the font even larger so that the text occupies a full line rather than being 'hidden' in a corner (something I used to do when I was a moderator in a different forum)

I will switch back to 6.50. Thanks for this message, Fred.

AFTERTHOUGHT: might it not be a good idea for this to be a notice that can be picked up and displayed in BoincTasks (like the BoincTasks: Welcome message)?

coolstream

I'm starting a new reply in case you want to make it a 'sticky'

USING TThrottle 6.50 after 6.60 was already installed.
I have tried to switch from 6.50 after 6.60 was previously installed on two machines now and get the same result:
STOP TThrottle 6.60
INSTALL 6.50 as Administartor
RUN TThrottle
What now happens is that although | Control Panel | Programs and Features | says that TThrottle 6.50 is installed, clicking on icon in system tray still shows the 6.60 screen.
| Task Manager | Processes | TThrottle64.exe | Properties | also shows that TThrottle 6.6.0.0 is running (not 6.50)

To go back to 6.50, I have to:
STOP TThrottle 6.60
UNINSTALL TThrottle (shows as TThrottle 6.50 in | Control Panel | Programs and Features |)
INSTALL TThrottle 6.50 as Administrator
TThrottle 6.50 is now installed and running!

coolstream

I've just noticed that 6.60 is still listed on the download section without any note not to use it.

Maybe best to add a remark or remove it and link back to 6.50?

fred

Quote from: coolstream on June 04, 2013, 01:30:56 PM
I've just noticed that 6.60 is still listed on the download section without any note not to use it.

Maybe best to add a remark or remove it and link back to 6.50?
The exe is gone. The beta download page shows 6.50.
It may take a while for you to see it. Press F5 to refresh the page.

coolstream

Really bizarre! I've tried F5, CTRL+F5, emptied cache and run CCleaner and still the beta page is showing 6.60.  >:(

Must be an online cache. I'll give up for now and try again later from another machine

EDIT: I now see where my error is. I was expecting to see a remark in the version history, so since that page is unaltered, I didn't even think to click on the 'Download' button. So, yes, I can now confirm that 'Download' does indeed link to 6.50  :o