News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Testing V 7.00

Started by fred, June 10, 2013, 06:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolstream

QuoteYep. My guess it's a bug in Vista 64.
I have been doing the latest tests on this one Vista64 machine, so I will do some tests on another Vista x86 rig.
If that gives the same result, then we'll have to wonder how Idahofisherman was able to report that v7 on Vista worked for him
QuoteBut the problem is resolved by using the older 2.4 driver.
2.5 only has one item for W7 and up, for better core detection.
One thing I have discovered by chance is that it is not as easy as it was with earlier versions to downgrade from v7 to v6.
This machine is presently running v6.50 but is being shown as being v7 with the 'wrong/no drivers' report.
When uninstalling v7 and then installing v6.50, the install reports that the lang files are missing (but <v 7 didn't need them). If I copy the lang folder from a v7 machine to the Vista machine, TThrottle reports that the wrong version of drivers are installed and suggests to use InstalDriver to fix the problem. The problem is that if I try this, I get the report that the INF files are missing ???

Uninstalling v7 requires more than simply using Control Panel but would normally not be noticed if upgrading from v7.00 to a later version.
QuoteThis is probably the best test version on this side.

This probably means that 2.4 is the last < W7 driver.
That's a pity if this turns out to be true. I just can't work out how XP and Win7 works and yet Vista doesn't.

Off to test the Vistax86 machine...

fred

I got it working on: Vista 32, Win 7 32/64 I will test the uninstaller.

A hint you probably MUST remove the driver *.sys from C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle.

A quick and dirty way to install an older version: Remove everything from C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle except the xml file.
Next install the older version.

fred

I forgot to add you to the tester in the about box, will be there the next time around. 8)

coolstream

Quote from: fred on June 29, 2013, 02:45:52 PM
I got it working on: Vista 32, Win 7 32/64 I will test the uninstaller.

A hint you probably MUST remove the driver *.sys from C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle.

A quick and dirty way to install an older version: Remove everything from C:\Program Files\eFMer\TThrottle except the xml file.
Next install the older version.
Yes that is what I have to do too. We are definitely thinking along the same lines. I can confirm that v7 runs on XP and was also thinking about unistalling it and going back to 6.5 just to see if is done cleanly without the need to lift the hood and get my hands dirty ;)

coolstream

Quote from: fred on June 29, 2013, 02:52:48 PM
I forgot to add you to the tester in the about box, will be there the next time around. 8)
COOL  ;D

fred

Quote from: coolstream on June 29, 2013, 03:05:24 PM
Yes that is what I have to do too. We are definitely thinking along the same lines. I can confirm that v7 runs on XP and was also thinking about unistalling it and going back to 6.5 just to see if is done cleanly without the need to lift the hood and get my hands dirty ;)
That worked just fine on my own machine. 8)

coolstream

Confirmed, although I have to qualify it by saying that downgrading v7 requires the use of Control Panel which does the job cleanly.

I have been thinking more about the Vista x64 problem. Would it be possible to install and run it as a 32-bit program? If so, this could be the solution for Vista x64 users being left behind ;)

fred

Quote from: coolstream on June 29, 2013, 03:50:30 PM
Confirmed, although I have to qualify it by saying that downgrading v7 requires the use of Control Panel which does the job cleanly.

I have been thinking more about the Vista x64 problem. Would it be possible to install and run it as a 32-bit program? If so, this could be the solution for Vista x64 users being left behind ;)
No because the problem is the driver and that needs to be 64 bit.
And no one is left behind, The Vista version is otherwise identical. It only has to do with some Win 7 features.

coolstream

OK. The reason I said 'left behind' is because of your previous reply,
QuoteThis is probably the best test version on this side.

This probably means that 2.4 is the last < W7 driver.
so I naturally assume that Win7 x64 will be stuck with TThrottle 6.50  :-\