Integrate TT into BT in server computer

Started by Corsair, September 21, 2013, 02:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corsair

Should it be possible in order doing everything of the server in itself with only one program and with this saving resources in the same engine ??  ::)

or in case that the server won't run BOINC to have an option of not run TT if not desired.  :-*

Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on September 21, 2013, 02:29:28 PM
Should it be possible in order doing everything of the server in itself with only one program and with this saving resources in the same engine ??  ::)
This is on the list: Add a cloud interface as in BoincTasks.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on September 22, 2013, 10:34:26 AM
Quote from: Corsair on September 21, 2013, 02:29:28 PM
This is on the list: Add a cloud interface as in BoincTasks.

In first instance I'm talking of doing it with the server, for controlling the hosts throttling I guess that is one step ahead of thing doing these step by step.  :D

Corsair.

coolstream

It's possible to do what I think you are thinking of already from BT. TT can be accessed from BT using 'Show | TThrottle'. You can then set throttle temperature of a remote machine.

I am sure that this is what you are thinking of, no?

fred

Quote from: coolstream on September 23, 2013, 12:51:56 PM
Something like that, if it works that is.

Corsair

Quote from: fred on September 23, 2013, 04:03:24 PM

no what I'm saying.

I say that in the server only have one program that unify both them as we're using as server that TT will be integrated in BT and only having one siftware working.

later will think about throttling in another computers via server but fist instance to have only one program in the server with everything to control in this computer being in only one program.

Corsair.

fred

Quote from: Corsair on September 24, 2013, 03:15:40 PM
later will think about throttling in another computers via server but fist instance to have only one program in the server with everything to control in this computer being in only one program.
I have TThrottle only users BoincTasks only users and users that use them all.
And I have TThrottle users without BOINC.

coolstream

Quote from: fred on September 23, 2013, 04:03:24 PM
I've had no problem using it during the warm summer days. Certainly beats running between machines to physically manage throttle values.  ::)

There was a point when I was running multiple GPU threads on each CPU thread when it would have been handy to have had more than the limited TThrottle view in BT to see the order multiple GPUs were being detected (I appreciate that this info is available in the messages tab of BT)

MarkJ

They are testing sub-second throttling in the alpha test versions of BOINC at the moment. I don't know if Fred would mind offering code to the BOINC developers so they could integrate temperature based throttling into the BOINC client. Dr A keeps saying its difficult to find code to obtain the temperature of the CPU and GPU.

fred

Quote from: MarkJ on December 04, 2013, 11:52:49 AM
They are testing sub-second throttling in the alpha test versions of BOINC at the moment. I don't know if Fred would mind offering code to the BOINC developers so they could integrate temperature based throttling into the BOINC client. Dr A keeps saying its difficult to find code to obtain the temperature of the CPU and GPU.
The way TThrottle works is with a driver and that needs a driver certificate. The code itself is to be considered dangerous as it could disable close to about anything running on the computer.
Like a virus scanner.

But the BOINC client should own the process it starts and the owner of the process should own the threads and should be able to suspend individual threads.
The next thing is use some sort of out of sync like random suspending system that stops and starts the threads.

And the temperature reading is also only possible by a signed driver.
The GPU reading can be done by API provided by AMD and NVIDIA.

The signing is only really needed on 64 bit systems.

But why the need of integration if there is already a program like TThrottle that handles thing automatically. :o

MarkJ

Quote from: MarkJ on December 04, 2013, 11:52:49 AM
They are testing sub-second throttling in the alpha test versions of BOINC at the moment.
Dr A finally realised that the wrapper app they provide only updates once a second, so they've given up on the sub-second throttling.