Problem installing any release after BoincTasks 1.49

Started by Thinkfast, January 12, 2015, 01:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thinkfast

WXPSP3 & BOINC 7.4.27
I have been running BoincTasks 1.49 for long time because every time I try to upgrade I run into a serious issue. The first time I tried to install 1.58 and I believe I had data issues. I has been so long, I really don't remember. This time I tried to install 1.66 and after it was complete, it launched BoincTasks, the window was displayed as usual, but the title had BoincTasks (Not responding). It looked like it was trying to access the Internet (transmit), but there was no response. Could be the firewall, but I would think the firewall would display a message. I waited about a minute and then opened Task manager and killed it. I noticed in the process tab that boictasks was still running and tried to end it, but it wouldn't end. So I had to restart the computer and I wasn't happy. Unfortunately, I read the forum post that tells where to find the crash file after I restored everything from backup. BoincTasks 1.49 is running fine again. Are there and special ports I need to open on my router since BoincTasks 1.49? Is it WXP? What did you do differently in the next release?

fred

Quote from: Thinkfast on January 12, 2015, 01:45:33 AM
Is it WXP? What did you do differently in the next release?
As Windows XP is considered dangerous to use...
I don't have an XP Machine anymore, so I can't test it.

Another thing maybe: Changed: Use SSE2 on x64 in  V 1.58.

Release notes are here : http://efmer.com/b/boinctasks_download

Thinkfast

Does this "BoincTasks [All languages **] For: XP (up to V1.48)..." refer to "languages" or "BoincTasks"? If the later, I should downgrade to v1.48.

fred

Quote from: Thinkfast on January 13, 2015, 12:22:09 AM
Does this "BoincTasks [All languages **] For: XP (up to V1.48)..." refer to "languages" or "BoincTasks"? If the later, I should downgrade to v1.48.
Languages as in Russian, English...

BoincTasks may create a crash report http://efmer.com/forum/index.php?topic=338.0

One of my problems is Windows used to have a XP compatibility mode, but MS removed it after they stopped XP support.
You probably have to go back to 1.48.

Did you try running BoincTasks as administrator? right mouse key run as...

Thinkfast

>Languages as in Russian, English...
Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

>BoincTasks may create a crash report...
I will look at that and report, if I try to test it again.

>Did you try running BoincTasks as administrator? right mouse key run as...
I didn't know you could do that in XP. I thought that was first introduced in W7. Maybe they added it in one of the service packs and I missed it. Thanks for that tip!

You could use VirtualBox and load WXP. I'm not sure how well it will work for testing software, but it might be useful. Of course, I'm sure you are happy to have one less OS to worry about.

I'm trying to make the jump to W7. W8 is not stable enough for corporations and after seeing what they did in W8 (GUI), I have no intentions of upgrading it. I will go straight to W10.

>You probably have to go back to 1.48.
I have been running 1.49 for a long time and haven't had any problems. The only reason I tried to upgrade is because I keep getting notices saying that I'm running 1.49 and the current version is 1.6x. So I finally gave in.