News:

Follow BoincTasks on Twitter Facebook        Visit our website here.
BoincTasks cloud login is working again

Main Menu

Working Temperature of I7-4771

Started by Corsair, August 10, 2015, 03:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corsair

jus a question I have a computer with I7-4771 I had Zalman Reserator (liquid cooling) and the working temperature with BOINC and two GPU the one in the I7 and a NVidia GF GTX750 Ti was around 65 to 70 deg Celsius.

well looks like that the pump broke down and I exchange by a Corsair Hydro H80iGT and now we´re talking in the same working scheme of about 96 deg Celsius.

is this normal??

what is your experience with this CPU and similar liquid cooling devices??
Roses don't bloom on the sailor's grave

Corsair.

noderaser

Depending on where that temperature is measured, that seems much too hot for your CPU as Intel reports that it's max temperature should be 72 degrees C at the heat spreader: http://ark.intel.com/products/77656/Intel-Core-i7-4771-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Although I have a lowly i5 4590, its Tcase is also 72 degrees C, its temperatures are typically around 50-55 C with a Corsair H50 closed loop liquid cooler running BOINC at 100%. I would say something is not right, check your installation and make sure your pump/fan connections are good. Check the BIOS/EFI to see that they are spinning if they are plugged into one of the motherboard-controlled fan sockets.

Corsair

thanks noderaser for your answer.

I really don't know what to check if I have already check everything and looks fine.

I'll see what can I found from now on.  :'(

Corsair.

Corsair

• dismantled the cooling set.
  • tighten the nuts & bolts of the socket
  • cleaned the thermal paste of the cooler & CPU
  • new paste supplied
  • rechecked connections of the pump and fans
  • fitted the radiator with the pipes in the lower position

now working within the range of 65 Celsius (from 60 to 68)

Where was the failure??  :'(

;) ;) ;) :)

Corsair.

noderaser

My guess would be that the heat exchanger was not tight enough on the CPU die, or there were air bubbles or other impurities in the cooling pad/thermal compound that prevented good heat transfer. Both systems (cooling pads and thermal compound) are pretty much single-use, once you break the bond you should remove and re-apply to ensure good coverage and transfer.

Corsair

Quote from: noderaser on August 11, 2015, 11:57:11 AM
My guess would be that the heat exchanger was not tight enough on the CPU die, or there were air bubbles or other impurities in the cooling pad/thermal compound that prevented good heat transfer. Both systems (cooling pads and thermal compound) are pretty much single-use, once you break the bond you should remove and re-apply to ensure good coverage and transfer.

could be because it was the first thing I though when I observed such too high temperatures but now I believe that was the position of the pipes that were in the up position because I re-tigh the adjusting ring. exchange the thermal paste, etc. and the pump after all was working at the same performance but when I assembled with the pipes in vertical way and facing down the temperature dropped 40 Celsius.

the assembly was very difficult in such position because I was disturbed by the GPU card and I have to force a little the screws. the case is a very tiny one for a mini-ITX board the only big is the rear fan of 120 ;-)

air bubbles that could not be suck by the pump being in the upper position my guess so more or less the pump working in vacuum (I've been lucky of not broke down it by working in vacuum)

thanks a lot for your support. 

Corsair.