Must be missing something basic

Started by keithhenry, December 06, 2015, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithhenry

Ok, got access to a Ubuntu 14.04 linux server (console only) so I went with BT to manage BOINC on it. I have BT connecting to it fine as long as I stick with the blank password file and use allow_remote_gui_rpc 1 in the cc_config.xml file. I'd like to use the IP address in the remote host file, a non-blank password and allow_remote_gui_rpc 0 but it won't connect that way. I tried using the value ipconfig gave for IPV4 address on the wintel box running BT. Is there an issue with linux using a non-blank password? The file was empty in the beginning whereas it has something random looking in it on windows. I'm presuming there must be something wrong with the IP address. What's the best way for me to sort this out? thx!

fred

Quote from: keithhenry on December 06, 2015, 09:51:24 PM
Ok, got access to a Ubuntu 14.04 linux server (console only) so I went with BT to manage BOINC on it. I have BT connecting to it fine as long as I stick with the blank password file and use allow_remote_gui_rpc 1 in the cc_config.xml file. I'd like to use the IP address in the remote host file, a non-blank password and allow_remote_gui_rpc 0 but it won't connect that way. I tried using the value ipconfig gave for IPV4 address on the wintel box running BT. Is there an issue with linux using a non-blank password? The file was empty in the beginning whereas it has something random looking in it on windows. I'm presuming there must be something wrong with the IP address. What's the best way for me to sort this out? thx!
If you have any way to access to the BOINC log on the remote linux server.
The log will probably help, if the allow IP is incorrect, it should show something like access from not allowed IP. And I gather is shows a password error as well.
Any changes to the config file and you most likely have to restart the BOINC client.

BobCat13

Don't use the allow_remote_gui_rpc in cc_config file.  Remove that option completely from cc_config.xml.

Add the Win box's IP to remote_hosts.cfg and create a password in gui_rpc_auth.cfg.  If the client was installed from the repository, these files will be in etc/boinc-client as the ones in /var/lib/boinc-client are just links not to be edited.

keithhenry

Okay, sorted out an issue with my wireless routers that probably affected this. I've got both computers using the main router now so I know both IPs are good. both Win boxes can connect to each other. Added the IPs to the remote_hosts.cfg, removed the allow_remote_gui_rpc completely in cc_config.xml and used both a blank and a password (in a separate attempt) in gui_rpc_auth.cfg (all in /etc/boinc-client). Turned on connecting logging in BT's logging and get

Connect, read error ---- Host: ugm-tuvok-o, IP: 192.169.171.240, Port: 31416, read error -102

each time it tries to connect. Checked /var/lib/boinc-client and all three files have lrwxrwxrwx for permissions. Going back to the old way for now.