BoincTasks Override default (xml) folder feature

Started by CHElliott, January 15, 2016, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHElliott

Thanks for making it possible to move BoincTasks data files away from an SSD.  The first time I tried it, it worked well, but now I have a problem.

I had to install a new SSD due to a crash and burn.  Last evening, after a month of operation, I got around to moving the BoincTasks directory to a hard drive. I changed "C:\Users\CElliott\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks" to "G:\Users\CElliott\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks,' where there were some old files from October 2015.  Now only the old work units will display on the History tab.  All the cvsN files seem to have been updated correctly; workunits completed after 8:30 PM last night are in the files, but the History tab is not updating.  This morning, BoincTasks was frozen when I clicked on the tray icon; I had to stop it with TaskMgr and restart it.  The first time I tried moving the default BoincTasks folder, it worked great, but not now.  Perhaps it is the old files BoincTasks found in the new destination directory that is causing the problem.

Do you know some way I can make the History tab display current information?  I copied the BoincTasks directory before I moved it.

fred

Quote from: CHElliott on January 15, 2016, 02:11:11 PM
Do you know some way I can make the History tab display current information?  I copied the BoincTasks directory before I moved it.
BoincTasks Setting -> Expert the default folder should be shown at the end of the second checkbox.
History should be here: E:\Users\Fred\AppData\Roaming\eFMer\BoincTasks\history

But the computer names must match as well, you can check if you see a new computer name.
There are 3 files, the cvs is used first if that one is corrupt cvs1 is used and so on.

CHElliott

Thanks for all your help.

The history *.cvsN files are using a different computer name.  The NetBIOS name of the computer is Luke.  The Control Panel/System computer name is Luke.local.celliott.us, and that was the name used by BoincTasks when the BoincTasks folder was on C:.  But now that it is on G:, BoincTasks is using just Luke in the file names.  I rebooted the computer at about 9 this morning.  The History tab now contains all the work units completed after 9:11:30 AM.

If I stop BoincTasks and edit the files to transfer the entries from the files with the Luke.local.celliott.us name to the files with just the Luke name, will it cause any problems?

What about the log folder?  It has hundreds of entries from Oct 2015 and before, but nothing recent.  How can I fix that?

fred

Quote from: CHElliott on January 16, 2016, 02:57:56 AM
If I stop BoincTasks and edit the files to transfer the entries from the files with the Luke.local.celliott.us name to the files with just the Luke name, will it cause any problems?

What about the log folder?  It has hundreds of entries from Oct 2015 and before, but nothing recent.  How can I fix that?
The history cvs file has one check that's the number of entries, that's the line after the last task, this should match the number of entries.
Don't add any doubles, no idea what happens when you add tasks that are identical.

The log is a BOINC thing, shutting down the BOINC client and adding items to stdoutdae.txt may work, I haven't tried it ever.