Some finished tasks do not show in history

Started by Harri Liljeroos, October 03, 2017, 02:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harri Liljeroos

Hi
Some of my finished tasks do not register to the history tab. LHC@home sixtrack applications are currently having quite a lot of tasks that are finished in 6...9 seconds. Task do not have errors, they finish succesfully. Today I noticed that that I had 29 such tasks finished in succession (visible in project website) but only 7 of them are visible in History. I tried to shorten the min and max update times to min=1 and max=6 seconds but that did not help.
Boinctasks version is 1.73, Boinc is 7.6.33 on windows 7 64 bit. So is this a bug or what gives?

fred

Quote from: Harri Liljeroos on October 03, 2017, 02:23:16 PM
Hi
Some of my finished tasks do not register to the history tab. LHC@home sixtrack applications are currently having quite a lot of tasks that are finished in 6...9 seconds. Task do not have errors, they finish succesfully. Today I noticed that that I had 29 such tasks finished in succession (visible in project website) but only 7 of them are visible in History. I tried to shorten the min and max update times to min=1 and max=6 seconds but that did not help.
Boinctasks version is 1.73, Boinc is 7.6.33 on windows 7 64 bit. So is this a bug or what gives?
Hmm, 6-9 seconds, that's way to fast.
The BOINC client should keep a record of the last entries BoincTasks misses, but at such a high rate that may not be enough.
In the History tab try removing the Smart mode check.

BoincTasks is set up to work as efficient as possible, but with such a short interval that's hard to do.

Harri Liljeroos

I will try that. Currently the short tasks are over at LHC but we'll see if it helps.

There are sometimes short tasks at Seti too, about 12...20 seconds on the GPU. They are actually so short that they probably doesn't get to the GPU but fail before that phase. At least BoincTasks doesn't tell me the GPU number on those tasks (I have two GTX970s on one host). But Seti hasn't had so many short ones in a row as LHC had. I haven't noticed Seti tasks being missing, but I'll keep my eye on them as well.

fred

Quote from: Harri Liljeroos on October 06, 2017, 09:32:08 PM
I will try that. Currently the short tasks are over at LHC but we'll see if it helps.

There are sometimes short tasks at Seti too, about 12...20 seconds on the GPU. They are actually so short that they probably doesn't get to the GPU but fail before that phase. At least BoincTasks doesn't tell me the GPU number on those tasks (I have two GTX970s on one host). But Seti hasn't had so many short ones in a row as LHC had. I haven't noticed Seti tasks being missing, but I'll keep my eye on them as well.
The short SETI tasks probably don't overload the BOINC client buffer, normally there are only a few of them.
It may be a LHC bug, it makes no sense to produce tasks so small.

Harri Liljeroos

Quote from: fred on October 07, 2017, 09:41:41 AM
The short SETI tasks probably don't overload the BOINC client buffer, normally there are only a few of them.
It may be a LHC bug, it makes no sense to produce tasks so small.
I think that LHC would like also not to produce such a short tasks, but as the nature of the tasks is what it is, it may be unavoidable. The sixtrack application is simulating the control parameters for the superconductor magnets that control the particle beam in the collider. The idea is to weed out those parameter sets that will make the beam collide to the wall of LHC. So in a weird kind of way a short task is also a success.

Harri Liljeroos

The removing of the 'smart mode' seems to have done the trick. I haven't seen big numbers of short tasks until today: 9 pieces of 4 second tasks one after another and all were catched by BoincTasks.

fred

Quote from: Harri Liljeroos on October 26, 2017, 05:47:43 PM
The removing of the 'smart mode' seems to have done the trick. I haven't seen big numbers of short tasks until today: 9 pieces of 4 second tasks one after another and all were catched by BoincTasks.
Great. ;D
For other users it's not recommended as BoincTasks requests data very frequently that way.