ATI detection problem observation and fix

Started by JStateson, February 08, 2018, 02:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

After editing TThrottle.xml to get the order of my pair of HD-7950s temperatures to correspond, I decided to swap cards in respective pcie slots.  Unaccountably, I lost the temperatures for one of the cards.  The outer card was having its temperature reported for the card closet to the CPU.  The card closest was not being reported at all.  On a hunch, I pulled the HDMI dongle (dummy load) off the outer card and put it on the inner one and that fixed the problem after a reboot.  That is probably the problem I have on another ATI system that is not connected to any monitor.  I need to put an HDMI load on the "primary" card to force the driver to set an order. I am just guessing but clearly having a monitor or dummy load connected to an ATI card makes a difference in how the temperature is reported.  I have not seen this on nVidia cards on some of my headless systems with no dummy load or monitor.

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on February 08, 2018, 02:58:56 PM
After editing TThrottle.xml to get the order of my pair of HD-7950s temperatures to correspond, I decided to swap cards in respective pcie slots.  Unaccountably, I lost the temperatures for one of the cards.  The outer card was having its temperature reported for the card closet to the CPU.  The card closest was not being reported at all.  On a hunch, I pulled the HDMI dongle (dummy load) off the outer card and put it on the inner one and that fixed the problem after a reboot.  That is probably the problem I have on another ATI system that is not connected to any monitor.  I need to put an HDMI load on the "primary" card to force the driver to set an order. I am just guessing but clearly having a monitor or dummy load connected to an ATI card makes a difference in how the temperature is reported.  I have not seen this on nVidia cards on some of my headless systems with no dummy load or monitor.
Thanks for reporting, that makes sense the card not reporting it's temperature when it's not in use.
The card may go into sleep mode.