Activate Power Plan

Started by cristipurdel, June 12, 2017, 05:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cristipurdel

I would like to have the following option:

If following application are not running ...X
    If computer has been idle for ... Y seconds
         Activate power plan Z(if too difficult to select one, set default Power Saver)

If no longer idle, then return to previous power plan (e.g. Balanced)

If this is possible to implement, then I will put it on all my computers to run when they are really idling, since in the power plan I can set the Processor freq really low, to be just above the idle power draw. Basically it should consume 10-20% higher than idle, but at reduced freq (e.g. around 800MHz)

This could also solve the issue about people or companies complaining about high power bills :)

I am still reluctant to run boinc on my laptop due to noise, and if cpu/gpu gets throttle, some of the applications do not fully continue where they left off.

fred

Quote from: cristipurdel on June 12, 2017, 05:46:52 AM
This could also solve the issue about people or companies complaining about high power bills :)

I am still reluctant to run boinc on my laptop due to noise, and if cpu/gpu gets throttle, some of the applications do not fully continue where they left off.
I think this is too specific to your needs to implement.
This is something the CPU or OS should handle and probably in some ways will.

You posted in BoincTasks, but is more related to TThrottle.
Whatever you do BOINC always uses electricity and wil cost money.

cristipurdel

Right now I am using Boray POWer (although old it is still workin on Windows 10) to achieve what I want.
I would have wanted to have an option in boinctasks, smth like.
When idle, activate Power Saver profile or High Performance.

The same was done with ParkControl, and since they were talking to opensource part of their code, maybe you could implement it in boinctasks

I would prefer to have a more precise control of how BOINC is using electricity :)