BoincTasks 1.78 won't start after Win 10 1809 version update

Started by Harri Liljeroos, December 13, 2018, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harri Liljeroos

Hi,
My Windows 10 host just installed the feared 1809 update. Now BoincTasks 1.78 can not start but it creates 10 crash dump files before giving up. The dump files vary in size between 140 to 155 kbytes. I tried to install the 1.78 version again but to no avail. Should I try to install the 1.79 beta version next or what?

fred

Quote from: Harri Liljeroos on December 13, 2018, 07:16:16 PM
Hi,
My Windows 10 host just installed the feared 1809 update. Now BoincTasks 1.78 can not start but it creates 10 crash dump files before giving up. The dump files vary in size between 140 to 155 kbytes. I tried to install the 1.78 version again but to no avail. Should I try to install the 1.79 beta version next or what?
Please upgrade to 1.79 so we have the same version running.

Next try running BoincTasks as Administrator and go to the General Tab and remove the check start BoincTasks at login and set it again, that is if you want to run it automatically.

What I think is the new version did something to the registry.

Harri Liljeroos

I installed the 1.79 version, but it failed like 1.78. No user interface becomes visible (and no icon on taskbar's notification area) and after 10 crash dumps the program terminates itself.

I believe that I ended up accidentally installing win10 updates that are still in testing phase. So I decided to return to the previous version of windows 10 and now 1.79 started without a problem (after I had removed the 10 crash dump files). Now windows is again downloading new updates but this time I try not to do anything to install "extra" updates like I did yesterday. It seems that if you go to windows update and manually check for updates, you may end up with updates that haven't had final acceptance yet. This of course is not mentioned on the update window  >:(.

If the failure happens again I will report it here.

fred

Quote from: Harri Liljeroos on December 14, 2018, 04:26:28 PM
I installed the 1.79 version, but it failed like 1.78. No user interface becomes visible (and no icon on taskbar's notification area) and after 10 crash dumps the program terminates itself.

I believe that I ended up accidentally installing win10 updates that are still in testing phase. So I decided to return to the previous version of windows 10 and now 1.79 started without a problem (after I had removed the 10 crash dump files). Now windows is again downloading new updates but this time I try not to do anything to install "extra" updates like I did yesterday. It seems that if you go to windows update and manually check for updates, you may end up with updates that haven't had final acceptance yet. This of course is not mentioned on the update window  >:(.

If the failure happens again I will report it here.
I just read that Windows sometimes installs early releases by accident when you manually activate updates.

Ytterbium

Hello Fred, I just made the 1809 updated and see the same issue, now we are a few more months in seems like it could be worth fixing?

running as admin doesn't fix it.  I can send the crash dumps if that helps?

fred

I have 1809 running on my system.
Right now I'm swamped in other work, so I will not be able to get an update out for some time.
Exit BoincTasks.
Run regedit and rename the folder Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTasks
Run BoincTasks again, see if it's something in the settings.

Ytterbium

it asked me if I was running windows and then crashes 10x in a loop like before.  I ran as admin just in case.

OK no worries, hope your un-swamped soon ;)

fred

Quote from: Ytterbium on January 20, 2019, 05:20:34 PM
OK no worries, hope your un-swamped soon ;)
It's Murphy's law, things happen when you already too busy.
A lot of different work in PHP and Javascript, also interesting to do.

Ytterbium

In a strange turn of events after a bugcheck and some updates being installed BT started working again.

fred

Quote from: Ytterbium on March 13, 2019, 08:53:21 PM
In a strange turn of events after a bugcheck and some updates being installed BT started working again.
Great, so it was probably some kind of bug in Windows.
Sometimes you don't want to know.

Harri Liljeroos

OK, spring is here and Windows decided that now is the time to install the 1809 update. And again BoincTasks (1.79) is unable to start and crashes 10 times before giving up. Running as an administrator did not help.

fred

Quote from: Harri Liljeroos on May 04, 2019, 11:47:34 AM
OK, spring is here and Windows decided that now is the time to install the 1809 update. And again BoincTasks (1.79) is unable to start and crashes 10 times before giving up. Running as an administrator did not help.
Make sure you have the latest beta version.
https://efmer.com/boinctasks-crashes/

Harri Liljeroos

Just a few hours later Windows installed a patch for 1809 update and now everything seems to work OK. I did install the lastest beta version of BoincTasks before rebooting the computer after Windows update. So if new problems arise I'm ready for it.

JStateson

If you signed up for the insider programs you can disable those early release in windows by clicking on start -> settings -> update and security -> insider

I just got bit by that update.  One of my systems had an old driver for the nVidia card and the 1809 feature update put in a newer driver.  Known problem is that the newer drivers are just updates to the graphics and and do not include opencl so all the GPU tasks on that system stopped.  However, I should have updated the driver much earlier.