test for out of work

Started by JStateson, April 25, 2019, 01:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JStateson

Would like to know when there are no work units left along with a parameter such as time elapsed since queue was empty.  Currently there is a problem being discussed at milkyway where fast computers complete too soon and ask too often so they get banned and end up not getting any work until a manual update is issued.  Maybe the problem can be fixed at their end, no telling when though.

I would use the rule to issue a manual update and the rule would then be disabled and only re-enabled if more work actually arrived.

some projects go offline for maintenance but  I have %shares set to allow other projects to start.  The problem is fast systems getting "banned" and then needing an update to get more work.

Obviously this is a problem on the project server, but you might consider adding a rule to cover this.

[EDIT] Looks like there is a fix on the server side as discussed HERE.  Not the same fix as the topic suggests as one fix requires another as is usual.

fred

Quote from: BeemerBiker on April 25, 2019, 01:28:45 AM
Would like to know when there are no work units left along with a parameter such as time elapsed since queue was empty.  Currently there is a problem being discussed at
There is an old function in config.xml
   <refresh>
      <auto>   4000   </auto>
   </refresh>
From what I remember it does a refresh in the set interval like 4000 I think those are seconds.

JStateson

Found a way to test for out of work - it was in BT already, just was unaware of it
Discussion is here
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_user_posts.php?userid=3749

Unfortunately, BT cannot do an update as that is not one of the options.  However, it can run a batch file which can then do an update.
I put together a tool to do an update across the internet from the batch file.
https://github.com/BeemerBiker/MilkywayRPCupdate/tree/master/RPCupdate