Windows 7 Multi Monitor - Add New Project Window Problems

Started by boincindave, June 16, 2019, 04:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boincindave

I've had a long standing problem with the new project window on my multi GPU and monitor machine.  The window always comes up on a secondary monitor, if it comes up at all.  Sometimes it doesn't show anywhere, at least not where I can find it.  Other times when I find it, it disappears when I'm moving it or trying to type in it. 

I just updated to both 1.78 and the beta 1.8 but the problem is still there.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

JStateson

I  have seen this exact problem before.  It is not related to Boinctask and can happen with any windows form that tries to restore its previous position when the monitor layout has been changed or the multi-display driver has "forgotten" that two monitors exist.

The problem can happen if one of 2 (or more video boards) has a reset.  This shows up in the event viewer as an "nVidia driver reset" or ATI.    Can also show up (lost program) if monitor is turned off and/or not recognized when system is powered up. Possibly compounded by older drivers and lack of Microsoft updates to video handler in windows 7.

I do not  know how you got the problem but I can give you my procedure for fixing it.

1. The icon for the missing program is in the task bar but the program but is no where to be seen.
2. Select the icon so that program would have popped up on the screen (this is trial and error)
3. press ALT+SPACE-M  Assuming the program is "on screen" somewhere, this gets windows to focus on it and enables the cursor keys to control the movement "m" of the form.
4.  using the cursor keys move left , right, up, down until the form shows up.
5.  Once the form shows up click on the maximize button so it maximizes to the current display.   This is important because if you don't maximize it then next time it will revert to its hidden location.

These problem went away for me when I switched to windows 10.  I suggest you use the free upgrade to get into 10 .

ALT+SPACE-M = Hold down ALT and Space bar at same time then release both and press the "m" key.  Do not use the mouse until the form is visible one of the displays.

boincindave

Thanks, you're probably right it's more of a Windows problem not BoincTasks.  In the past the icon in the task bar hasn't been visible in the task bar either.  I'll try this process next time this happens.  I've gotten in the habit of using the regular manager to handle new projects.