Suspend at Checkpoint: conditionally visible as an option

Started by archeye, July 09, 2019, 04:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archeye

Hi,
out of interest I clicked on BioncTask Settings, Tasks tab, Checkpoint to see what is would show.

Not only did it show the time from the last checkpoint but it also adds an additional option into the "right click when mouse over task" list and then you have the normal "Suspend" but also an additional "Suspend at Checkpoint".

https://efmer.com/boinctasks_settings/#tasks does not describe this ;)

I see no need for more and more detail to be put into the help. This is a very well organised program (TThrottle too) and I like that most aspects are intuitive.

So I was thinking that without changing your design maybe you could always have the "Suspend at Checkpoint" in the Tasks right click list but when the "Checkpoint" column is not selected then this right click list item is just disabled (greyed out).

Users can then always see the option and should be smart enough to work out what is needed to enable it.

I just raise this as it potentially saves already processed data and with a save at checkpoint (in my case checkpoints are set to 60 seconds although I see in real time some go out to nearly 3 minutes) you are able to preserve your progress.

The only reason I see for suspending some WUs is that while I am using the PC  they are either super intensive CPU/GPU users or require TThrottle to ramp up on the throttle factor to maintain my settings for CPU/GPU temperature limits.

These suspended WUs will then be set to resume while I am not directly using my PC.

Cheers.

fred

Yep, but the majority of uses probably don't use this feature and those who need it will find it eventually.
And they can find it here....