How to get through Windows Firewall

Started by Don922, September 05, 2019, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don922

I have BoincTasks running on a Windows 10 PC. It can attach to the Boinc tasks on 2 QNAP NAS devices (Linux) and 2 Surface Pro devices (Win 10) with no issues. I am running Vipre on the 2 Win 10 devices. I recently added 3 additional Win 10 devices. On these I am using the Windows included firewall. I cannot attach to these new devices with BoincTasks unless I disable the firewall. I have tried setting rules and cannot get it to work. Does anyone know how to configure the WIndows Firewall to allow BoincTasks attach to these devices? All devices are on the same subnet.

Thanks
Don

fred

The Boinc client needs access to the local net to communicate with BoincTasks, so make sure BOINC client has all the rights it need on the local network.

Look for: Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewalll

Don922

I found the problem. I initially had the 64bit version of BOINC installed. I had set up BOINC as an allowed app in the firewall. I was having issues with the 64bit version. It crashes on certain Intel low power processors. I had to install the 32bit version which worked fine. However, the firewall rule was pointing to the 64bit version under the Program Files directory instead of the 32bit version under the Program Files (x86) directory. Once I corrected this BoincTasks was able to access these computers.

Thanks