Rule not continuous?

Started by Bryan, August 23, 2019, 05:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

I'm having a problem with a rule not continuing to run. 

I want a rule that checks ELAPSED time > 3 minutes and if TIME LEFT is > 2 hours then SUSPEND the task.

When I first establish the rule it works as intended but several hours later it has appartently stopped running.  ie I'll have a number of WU with an elapsed time of 1 hour with 3 hours remaining and they are running - not suspended.

If I stop/restart BoincTasks it will suspend those tasks as it should have done before.  But after an hour or so it is back to missing those long WU.  If I modify the rule in any way, ie change elapsed time by 1 second, then it will work again for a short time.

How can I overcome this? 

BTW, I'm controlling 7 machines with 480 threads.  That is the only rule being used.

One other question. there is a TIME field to the right of the 1st section above COLOR.  What is this for?  I'm assuming this is the amount of time a condition must be true in order to trigger and event.

EDIT:  I originally was running version 1.7.8 and now I'm running 1.8.  I'm having the same problem with both.

JStateson

Yes, I think your observation is correct.  I have a similar problem with  the SETI NoCal app:  It seems to get stuck.  Instead of finishing in 14 - 15 minutes it drags on for hours until it times out.  I use a rule to suspend the task after 24 minutes.  The following is the log:

23 August 2019 - 13:04:15 Rule(s) ---- Active: 1
23 August 2019 - 13:04:15 Rule: StopNocal ---- rx560, SETI@home, 8.22 SETI@home v8 (opencl_ati5_SoG_nocal),  | Elapsed Time > 00d,00:24:00
23 August 2019 - 13:04:15 ============================================================================== ----
23 August 2019 - 13:05:16 Rule: StopNocal, trigger ---- rx560, SETI@home, SETI@home v8, (Elapsed >00d,03:26:24),
23 August 2019 - 13:05:16 Rule: StopNocal, from que ---- Suspend task
23 August 2019 - 13:05:17 Rule: StopNocal ---- Activated: OK, Project: SETI@home, rx560, Suspend task
23 August 2019 - 13:07:19 Rule: StopNocal ---- No longer active: rx560, SETI@home, SETI@home v8, (Elapsed >00d,03:26:24)

Note that the rule is NO LONGER ACTIVE.  That is because the  task still exists and is beyond the time limit.  The problem is that the tasks needs to be aborted.  I don't see an easy way to do that especially since the task is on a remote system.  I will look at this problem but I suspect it is not an easy fix as a simple re-activate will just try to suspend the same task again.  Just a guess.  Possibly Fred could add "Abort" as a rule option.

[EDIT] This may not apply to your case, but I discovered that if I resume the task it finishes within a few minutes.  Obviously there is a problem of some type, hardware most likely.   For this unique case I can write an additional rule that if a task is suspended for x minutes it could be resumed.  However, I do not see a "resume task" option. I think an abort option is best.