Remove projects not initializing

Started by Roadranner, October 25, 2019, 03:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadranner

I tried to install QNC Continual.
Because of an http-error the initialization doesn't complete.
With BT I'm not able to execute any action. I had to go to the (external) machine to remove the project with Boinc Manager.
It would be nice to control this with Bt, too.

fred

Quote from: Roadranner on October 25, 2019, 03:49:16 PM
It would be nice to control this with Bt, too.
BoincTasks should be able to remove a project .
Right mouse Add/remove -> Detach.

boincindave

You can't if there is an error.  Attaching to GoofyGrid I got an HTTP error.  Right click in the project tab does nothing.  I have to go into BOINC manager to detach the project.

JStateson

There could be a possible problem here but I have been unable to duplicate it.

Have noticed that when attaching a project a few seconds go by before the project becomes responsive.

For example:  On two of my systems the CPU is not capable of running CPU tasks as it is two busy with the video board and their OpenCL.  If I try to add another project,  I have to click repeatedly on the "initializing project" and when the project becomes responsive I select no-new-tasks.  Once that takes effect I log onto the project, locate my "new" system and set the venue to prevent CPU tasks.  There may be a way to avoid this but it is easier this way.  Unfortunately, if I do not react quick enough, one or two CPU tasks sneak in before the NNT takes effect and have to be aborted.

Thinking about this, it seems logical that if the project never initializes one would never get control. However, Boinctasks does not actually "attach" the project.  It sends a message to the boinc client and asks it to attach.  Sometimes it attaches in a few seconds, other times it can take a few minutes.  It could be you didn't wait long enough.  If the client (boinc) has a problem initializing the project it may not respond to the manager.

RR: I tried to duplicate the problem but did not find QNC listed. The only project that started with Q was quake catcher.  Is there another name this project goes under?

Dave:  I put in goofygrid thinking that garbage-in garbage-out might hang up BT but all I got was an error message and the fake project never got initialized.  If you meant gpugrid then I had had no problem attaching.

On Tuesdays, SETI is regularly down for maintenance.  I once tried to attach with a new Linux system and had to wait a few minutes before BT recovered but that was understandable. 

boincindave

I meant Goofygrid not GPUGrid.  Goofy is least reliable project in BOINC that has ever been.  I have a few machines I tried to attach with BOINCtasks but failed.  I think some error on the Goofy server.  I left these go for at least a week and they still haven't attached, still giving an error.  But I can't do anything with it in BOINCTasks.  I have to go into standard BOINC manager to detach.  Right now Goofy is down so it doesnt matter anyway.

boincindave

I finally figured this out.  Goofy project has moved a few times and I used wrong url to attach.  That caused the http error.  I still had to use standard BOINC manager to detach it though.  I think somehow BOINCTasks didn't see it as a project so didn't give the option to detach.